X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Tashes anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tashes anyone?

I've been looking around online and I cannot seem to find good information on how the tashes on, say, a regulation doublet are constructed.

Do you have a a doublet with tashes? Could you answer a few questions about them, or post photos?

To me, it appears that one piece of facing fabric, with braid and buttons, is sewn over another piece of facing fabric to form the front of each tash. Is that correct, or does the piece with the braiding and buttons simply hang free over the front of each tash?

I ask because I have a pattern that makes a Renaissance doublet that fits me well. I have successfully shortened and straightened the bottom hem, and I believe that if I simply add sleeves and tashes and a few minor modifications, I could make a Kenmore doublet. But I have never seen a tash in person, and I am not sure how they are constructed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I had just found that on another round of searching. Good photos in that thread. I'm wondering, however, if those are two separate pieces on a "commercial" doublet. Anyone have one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know it's always in two pieces as that is much easier to make than sewing it all into 1.

I imagine cheaper doublets do not have pockets though.