X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic Knot hand knit hose tops

As most of you know, my wife knits some lovely hose tops. Usually we sell these sewn onto House of Cheviot socks, which have the advantage of being super comfy and easy to care for. Occasionally, though, she gets requests for just the tops alone, so that people can wear them with their own socks. Here's a pair we just shipped out today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, now I'm lusting for a pair. Dark maroon background, bottle green knot-work, and white stripes.
    Might be the closest I will get to tartan hose... (which are much too dear for my wallet!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very nice indeed. Hand work is always so amazing
    "Greater understanding properly leads to an increasing sense of responsibility, and not to arrogance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt: Those are beautiful. I love the heather color with the bright green accent.

Since I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, allow me to ask you two stupid questions:

1. Why is one taller than the other?!
    2. Not being a seamster the only way I could attach those to any socks I own would be with duct tape (on the inside of course, so it wouldn't be visible). How would a knowledgeable, competent person attach them? I know they are "sewn" on, but by hand, knitted, with a machine, et. al.?

Thanks.

John
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Matt: Those are beautiful. I love the heather color with the bright green accent.

Since I know there is no such thing as a stupid question, allow me to ask you two stupid questions:

1. Why is one taller than the other?!
    I'm going to guess that it is the unrolled roll-over. Pull these on first, inside-out and long side down, then pull on the full hose up over top of them, then fold both down over the garter-tie. You won't be able to see the underlying hose sticking out the top. Voila!
    Last edited by Dale-of-Cedars; 5th May 12 at 06:29 PM.

Cowichan Valley 48 39' 1" N 123 34' 54" W
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who has done decorative knot work, I very much like that.

Craig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Would it be rude to ask for a ballpark price range here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-of-Cedars View Post
    I'm going to guess that it is the unrolled roll-over. Pull these on first, inside-out and long side down, then pull on the full hose up over top of them, then fold both down over the garter-tie. You won't be able to see the underlying hose sticking out the top. Voila!
    Thanks, ... I guess. I kind of see where you're going with that, but I'm having trouble picturing the details. Were I to buy a "pair" of these, do I get 2 pieces of wool (as shown in each of Matt's pictures), or 4 pieces of wool (2 long pieces and 2 short pieces), or Heaven forbid, do I get all six pieces shown in the above three pictures.

I'll never figure out where the duct tape goes! Matt's going to have to post another video for novitiates like me.
    I changed my signature. The old one was too ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mookien View Post
    Thanks, ... I guess. I kind of see where you're going with that, but I'm having trouble picturing the details. Were I to buy a "pair" of these, do I get 2 pieces of wool (as shown in each of Matt's pictures), or 4 pieces of wool (2 long pieces and 2 short pieces), or Heaven forbid, do I get all six pieces shown in the above three pictures.
    They're all the same size, from what I gather. The "Short piece" is folded to show what it would look like worn. The "Long piece" is just unfolded to show the part that's usually tucked under the sock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeightRG View Post
    Very nice. Would it be rude to ask for a ballpark price range here?
    $60 US for cuffs only I think, see here: http://newhousehighland.com/hose.html but that page may be out of date, so check with Matt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast