X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belt buckle for a wide belt

I made myself a 2.5 inch belt for my great kilt, and I want a buckle that is more interesting than the typical brass annular reenactment buckles that are available. I have already looked at Raymond's Quiet Press, and they got nothin'... Anyone have any ideas?
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could go with hand forged iron...what does the belt look like? Did you design for a particular type of buckle attachment? I've been thinking of using my horseshoeing forge to make some rustic type pieces but haven't gotten to it just yet. Also, you might consider copper instead of brass.
    Rondo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rondo, man, I don't care about the material one way or the other. The belt is a black bridal cinch belt, if that tells you anything.
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with this one, Travis:

It's sturdy, looks awesome, and isn't ridiculously expensive. You can get them here:

http://www.treasurecast.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=179

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could go elk antler.
    BTW When does your season start. Is your troop going to be at the Yellowstone Games this year? How about Thanksgiving Point in Utah?
    Hope to see you soon.
    Scotland is only 1/5 the size of Montana, but Scotland has over 3,000 castles and Montana has none.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I search using terms: 2.5 inch or "2 1/2 inch", "center bar", single, tang, square, brass, buckle. And then weed through all the chaff. I avoid the round buckles as they are hard to use and pucker the belt in the buckle.

At times I have had to buy a belt to get the buckle. I have had luck at times with santa claus belt also, beware some are cheap tin buckles.

I get antique brass by buying bright brass buckles - strip the finish and put it in my natural gas oven hanging face down.
    Let the oven warm up to 150 or so and shut it off. The sulfer in the natural gas odor does nice uniform job on the buckle.
    Repeat until you get the patina you want. For me it's about 3 cycles.
    Last edited by tundramanq; 2nd April 12 at 09:28 AM.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not have your son anvil out an iron buckle, Hawk?
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ross View Post
    I'd go with this one, Travis:

It's sturdy, looks awesome, and isn't ridiculously expensive. You can get them here:

http://www.treasurecast.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=179
    Ryan, that's just what I was looking for! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldybrown View Post
    You could go elk antler.
    BTW When does your season start. Is your troop going to be at the Yellowstone Games this year? How about Thanksgiving Point in Utah?
    Hope to see you soon.
    Yes, Ron, we will be at Yellowstone. We will also be doing Jackson Hole again. How is your belt working out for you?

I had thought about that, Ted. Problem is, it doesn't fit with the persona of the head of a guild. I need something a little fancier than a forged buckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Why not have your son anvil out an iron buckle, Hawk?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tundramanq View Post
    I search using terms: 2.5 inch or "2 1/2 inch", "center bar", single, tang, square, brass, buckle. And then weed through all the chaff. I avoid the round buckles as they are hard to use and pucker the belt in the buckle.

At times I have had to buy a belt to get the buckle. I have had luck at times with santa claus belt also, beware some are cheap tin buckles.

I get antique brass by buying bright brass buckles - strip the finish and put it in my natural gas oven hanging face down.
    Let the oven warm up to 150 or so and shut it off. The sulfer in the natural gas odor does nice uniform job on the buckle.
    Repeat until you get the patina you want. For me it's about 3 cycles.
    I have actually found that my biggest issue with the round buckle is that it has a way of tearing up my edges! As Ron can attest, I pay a lot of attention to burnishing hard, smooth edges, and I hate seeing them get frayed by the buckle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, but you should still make him do it because you might not always be who you are, right now.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast