X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thank you, it, the outfit, is in better repair than some I have seen!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th April 12 at 09:10 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    I was under the impression that -- for the better part of the twentieth century -- the majority of kilt wearers in Scotland would have owned only one kilt and it would have been a hand sewn, heavy weight, worsted wool, knife pleated, 8ish yards, clan tartan kilt aka a tank. Given that such a garment is precious, it would only have been worn for special occasions. Some lucky folks may have had another older, probably inherited kilt for bashing around in, but the advent of casual or pub kilts is a fairly recent phenomenon. Is this perhaps, not entirely true?
    Yes, that was the way in Scotland for much of the 20C just as it was in North America and elsewhere, Colin. As Jock says, it is difficult to properly explain. It is not that it is or ever was "traditional" in the Highlands to own just one kilt, but for most of us it was economically impossible to own more than one -- unless we inherited, which I did and I believe Jock did, too. Many others I know had the same good fortune. But the fact is that until very, very recently, there was not the wherewithall to have closets full of clothing, Highland or not. We largely made do with what we had and that was the tradition. In many ways it has remained so to today.

There is little wealth in Highland Scotland and for most of us items of clothing are of very good quality because quality tends to last longer. But quality also costs more, so we have fewer items in total and we repair and make do with those that become damaged. Generally speaking we are a country folk; the kilt has no place in the mucking of a chicken coop, the mending of a road, or the digging of a sodden garden when there are hardier items designed for just those purposes.

We don't so much reserve the kilt for special occasions as allow the occasion, special or otherwise, to select the appropriate clothing for us. With a bit more disposable income we may buy a second or third kilt and allow earlier ones to hang in the closet more often. We don't wear Highland dress more frequently, therefore, but we do have an enlarged selection to choose from.

Instead of a Highland Games let's look at a Highland Game Fair because you don't have those in North America. There will be a few kilts around worn with jackets and ties and some with heavy jumpers (and ties), and there will be shooting, stalking and fishing attire worn in the Highland fashion. There will be children with faces painted, farmers in old tweed jackets, corduroy trousers and wellies, city folk on an outing in t-shirts, tatty jeans and brand new trainers. The new gentry will be there in fine tweeds from Bruar and Johnson's and the older gentry in well-worn hand-me-downs. There will even be a few young stags strutting about admiring their reflections and shadows. All are welcome and mingle without comment.

The occasion and its relevance is an individual thing. Sound familiar?
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 28th April 12 at 12:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Yes, that was the way in Scotland for much of the 20C just as it was in North America and elsewhere, Colin. As Jock says, it is difficult to properly explain. It is not that it is or ever was "traditional" in the Highlands to own just one kilt, but for most of us it was economically impossible to own more than one -- unless we inherited, which I did and I believe Jock did, too. Many others I know had the same good fortune. But the fact is that until very, very recently, there was not the wherewithall to have closets full of clothing, Highland or not. We largely made do with what we had and that was the tradition. In many ways it has remained so to today.

Very well put ThistleDown, thank you. I like the way you have relocated tradition back into its original, more natural context.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking we are a country folk; the kilt has no place in the mucking of a chicken coop, the mending of a road, or the digging of a sodden garden when there are hardier items designed for just those purposes.
    Fair enough, if we are discussing only the traditional wool kilt in the last hundred or a little more years.

Instead of a Highland Games let's look at a Highland Game Fair because you don't have those in North America. There will be a few kilts around worn with jackets and ties and some with heavy jumpers (and ties), and there will be shooting, stalking and fishing attire worn in the Highland fashion. There will be children with faces painted, farmers in old tweed jackets, corduroy trousers and wellies, city folk on an outing in t-shirts, tatty jeans and brand new trainers. The new gentry will be there in fine tweeds from Bruar and Johnson's and the older gentry in well-worn hand-me-downs. There will even be a few young stags strutting about admiring their reflections and shadows. All are welcome and mingle without comment.

Thanks for providing that description, ThistleDown.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the same vein as Ryan Ross's question he posed, I have a similar question. Take a look at these photos of me below. Is this "too traditional" for a Highland Games? Or not traditional enough? Or just right?

What about if it were worn to some other (non-Scottish-themed) outdoor event? Like an equestrian show? Would taking it out of the Scottish context make it "too traditional" or inappropriate? And for that matter, if we take away the cromach, would this outfit be inappropriate at other regular events that are not Scottish related?

Last edited by Tobus; 28th April 12 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added second picture

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Fair enough, if we are discussing only the traditional wool kilt in the last hundred or a little more years.
    No, Ted, I'm referring to the kilt as it is known in the Highlands today. Most of us have never seen other kinds and if we have we have looked at them over our glasses and then quietly chuckled. My point was that we spend our hard-earned funds on good quality goods and then take care of them. We would not think of buying a kilt -- no matter what it's made from or how cheaply -- and then wearing it to do something for which we have something far better. No kilts for squatting among the cacti, in other words

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, you are dressed nicely for a Games in Scotland in the height of summer, except: we would not carry the stick without wearing a jacket and tie, and if we took off the jacket we would set aside the bonnet and the stick. I can't comment on non-Scottish events, but you look good.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we would not carry the stick without wearing a jacket and tie, and if we took off the jacket we would set aside the bonnet and the stick
    Huh, now that's interesting. I hadn't heard that particular tradition before. So the cromach and Balmoral are only appropriate when worn with jacket and tie? I would have thought that these were more practical items that wouldn't be dependent on the level of dress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    In the same vein as Ryan Ross's question he posed, I have a similar question. Take a look at these photos of me below. Is this "too traditional" for a Highland Games? Or not traditional enough? Or just right?

What about if it were worn to some other (non-Scottish-themed) outdoor event? Like an equestrian show? Would taking it out of the Scottish context make it "too traditional" or inappropriate? And for that matter, if we take away the cromach, would this outfit be inappropriate at other regular events that are not Scottish related?

I'd say, especially sans stick (and maybe bonnet... if the tails were tied, I'd say it would fly further under the radar), that gear would be great for almost any warmish weather event. In fact, I'd go on reccord as saying that you look particularly comfortable and snazzy, in an understated and tasteful way. Nicely done!

And, though it's OT, that beard is coming along right well- looks sharp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, Ted, I'm referring to the kilt as it is known in the Highlands today. Most of us have never seen other kinds and if we have we have looked at them over our glasses and then quietly chuckled. My point was that we spend our hard-earned funds on good quality goods and then take care of them. We would not think of buying a kilt -- no matter what it's made from or how cheaply -- and then wearing it to do something for which we have something far better. No kilts for squatting among the cacti, in other words
    ThistleDown, I have primary descriptions of kilts being worn in trench warfare during World War I. If you go back too far into the nineteenth century, the kilt, as you know it today, did not exist, rather it was box pleated. I have primary descriptions from the late eighteenth century of people of the Western Islands that would lead me to think the kilt is, perhaps, the only clothing they wore: no trousers.
    That was more along the line of what I was thinking; sorry.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast