Is it possible to wear the kilt too traditionally?

This topic was prompted by something someone said to me here in Hong Kong a while back. I was doing the dress rehearsal for a Chinese lion dance at an event, when the organizer suggested that I needed to do some different, more modern moves. The kung fu club who taught me this particular dance, and who I was representing at the event, prefers a more traditional lion dance, so I told the coordinator as much. She replied "you're not a traditional performer," which seemed to imply that because I'm not Chinese, I should be doing a modern version of this dance. Not that I shouldn't be doing lion dance, rather that as a non-Chinese I shouldn't be doing it so traditionally

My question then, would mostly apply to non-Scots, both those in Scotland of non-Scottish blood and the Scottish diaspora. It could perhaps also apply to Scots in Scotland who are new to kilt-wearing and don't have a family tradition to fall back on. I'm not looking for a discussion about whether or not such people should or should not wear the kilt. Let's start from the position of they are going to wear, so how best to do so?

What could too traditional mean? I'm not exactly sure.... but I'm not talking about things that are obviously not traditional, like historical reenactment or the everythingCLANcrested-whitehose-PC-ghilliebrogues-flyplaid-waistcoatANDbelt-before6PM look. Maybe more like kilt "power-moves," such as mixing colours and patterns, full mask sporrans, doublets, etc. Maybe also like borderline revival things such as box pleated/kingussie kilts, patterned hose or horsehair sporrans for daywear, etc.

Despite my sympathies and interest in non-traditional kilt stuff, the vast majority of my kiltwearing is traditional. I personally think traditional is the best way to enjoy the kilt, but have been made leery of overdoing it...