X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few additional (rather old) photos of the late Euan Macpherson of Glentruim. Also included in some of the photos are the following Macphersons: Lady Glentruim, Sandra Macpherson; Lachlan Macpherson of Glentruim; Catriona Macpherson; Alastair Macpherson of Pitmain; Lady Pitmain, Penelope Macpherson; Sir William Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie; the late Lady Cluny, Sheila Macpherson; and the Pitmain children. Most of the photos were taken at Glentruim House, or at the annual Clan Macpherson gathering and rally in Newtonmore, Laggan, and Kingussie.

Enjoy,

Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 09:10 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    M'LL.

Glentruim, no that is wrong, the late Euan Macpherson of Glentruim (a fascinating chap) wore the kilt in his very own particular style and it was not unusual to see him about the place kilted. You may have missed it, but go to the photo section and the "vintage" picture thread, I posted(last few days) a picture there of The Queen and Invercauld, that you might be interested in.

Some of you may be interested in a book written by Euan's wife Sandra: "A Strange and Wild Place", it relates to her life in Glentruim. Often a hard life, but with amusing, some sad, tales of people in the glen. I recommend it.
    Sounds like an interesting book, and I'll make sure to add it to my reading list!

If I may, I'd like to ask what you meant when you said he "wore the kilt in his very own particular style". In all the photos I see of him, he appears to be wearing it very traditionally, and in perfect keeping with Highland tradition as I understand it to be. What specifically about his wearing of the kilt is his very own particular style? I must be missing it.

Personally, I think he looks just grand. And I give him extra points for the beard! From this side of the pond (and with what I assume is a typical American outlook on it), he seems like the quintessential Highlander.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    What specifically about his wearing of the kilt is his very own particular style? I must be missing it.
    He's probably talking about the ghillie brogues.
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an interesting book, and I'll make sure to add it to my reading list!

If I may, I'd like to ask what you meant when you said he "wore the kilt in his very own particular style". In all the photos I see of him, he appears to be wearing it very traditionally, and in perfect keeping with Highland tradition as I understand it to be. What specifically about his wearing of the kilt is his very own particular style? I must be missing it.

Personally, I think he looks just grand. And I give him extra points for the beard! From this side of the pond (and with what I assume is a typical American outlook on it), he seems like the quintessential Highlander.
    I suppose its mainly the plaid that gave him his individual look, he regularly wore one wrapped around his chest and shoulder, or sometimes, he just carried it over his shoulder. However, he was not blessed with good health in his youth and perhaps an extra layer was a wise precaution in our inclement weather, but I really don't know. He also wore his bonnet with the two eagle feathers rather more regularly than most in that position. So for these modern times his dress was rather more "theatrical" or "older style" than normally seen by the locals, but absolutely spot on ------in spite of the ghillie brogues!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th June 12 at 11:18 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you may be interested in a book written by Euan's wife Sandra: "A Strange and Wild Place", it relates to her life in Glentruim. Often a hard life, but with amusing, some sad, tales of people in the glen. I recommend it.
    Sandra also wrote People of the Wild Cat Country, more stories of the folk. I recommend it, as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    Sandra also wrote People of the Wild Cat Country, more stories of the folk. I recommend it, as well.
    Precisely Rex and Jock! I own People of the Wild Cat Country: Tales from Badenoch and Strathspey and A Strange and Wild Place, both published by Birlinn Publishing, Edinburgh. They are both excellent books and are not just for Macphersons, rather, all people interested in the Scottish Highlands, Clan Gatherings, Scottish legends and wonderful wee stories of the area known as Badenoch, would enjoy Sandra's books. I highly recommend them!

www.birlinn.co.uk

Me, Lachlan, and Sandra having a nice chat over a wee dram (well, as you can see, I have a wee pint of Tennants!), at the Clan Macpherson tent (on the Eilan, beneath Creag Dhubh) during our clan's annual gathering and rally in Newtonmore. If you notice, Sandra is wearing the Macpherson of Glentruim tartan, which is the same sett as the Macpherson 'hunting' tartan with the addition of green fields in place of the black.

Macpherson of Glentruim tartan by D.C. Dalgliesh.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose its mainly the plaid that gave him his individual look, he regularly wore one wrapped around his chest and shoulder, or sometimes, he just carried it over his shoulder. However, he was not blessed with good health in his youth and perhaps an extra layer was a wise precaution in our inclement weather, but I really don't know. He also wore his bonnet with the two eagle feathers rather more regularly than most in that position. So for these modern times his dress was rather more "theatrical" or "older style" than normally seen by the locals, but absolutely spot on ------in spite of the ghillie brogues!
    Yes, exactly right, Jock. He also was quite a character and truly had one foot planted firmly in Scotland's past and one in the present. He occassionally wore a antique Scottish powder horn and dirk (passed down to him from previous Lairds of Glentruim) with his evening attire. He also wore a very old sporran molach, genuine, round Cairngorm buttons on his 'Montrose' doublet, and a antique silver belt buckle, with his evening attire.

Glentruim wasn't pretentious or even ostentatious, far from it. He was a true Highland gentleman that worked his butt off for the sake of his estate. He had an incredible work ethic, and could labor harder and stronger than most of the workers under his employ - he worked until the job was done. I do feel honoured to have known him.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew you would appreciate his beard!

Your last statement is actually spot on, Tobus! Euan had his image plastered all over magazines and advertisements throughout the British Isles, as well as throughout mainland Europe, because of his "quintessential Highlander" appearance whilst wearing Highland attire. Sandra also speaks of this in her books.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SlackerDrummer View Post
    He's probably talking about the ghillie brogues.
    You have to understand as well, that Euan's style and overall look was entirely unique to his fellow Macphersons of the time in which he lived. No other Macpherson, to include Cluny, wore Highland dress in quite the same manner as he. Other styles were similar, yes, but Euan made it entirely his own.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post

Glentruim House

For detailed photos of Glentruim House and its interior check out the following link.
    [url]http://www.glentruimestate.co.uk/accommodation-newtonmore-hotel-guesthouse-castle.html[/url
    When my wife and I decided to downsize, and possibly leave Ireland for Scotland, Glentruim House was one of the small estates that we looked at. A lovely old mansion house, it sadly was a tad too gloomy and required more structural repair than we were really willing to commit to. The rooms were lovely, some with fine proportions, and the library was a true treasure. In keeping with tradition Katherine waited in the hall while I inspected the library and pronounced it "fit for pipe and bowl".

I know exactly how Old Glentruim must have felt when he left, as my own emotions ran high when leaving Holybrooke for America.

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast