X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Traditional?

Is it possible to wear the kilt too traditionally?

This topic was prompted by something someone said to me here in Hong Kong a while back. I was doing the dress rehearsal for a Chinese lion dance at an event, when the organizer suggested that I needed to do some different, more modern moves. The kung fu club who taught me this particular dance, and who I was representing at the event, prefers a more traditional lion dance, so I told the coordinator as much. She replied "you're not a traditional performer," which seemed to imply that because I'm not Chinese, I should be doing a modern version of this dance. Not that I shouldn't be doing lion dance, rather that as a non-Chinese I shouldn't be doing it so traditionally

My question then, would mostly apply to non-Scots, both those in Scotland of non-Scottish blood and the Scottish diaspora. It could perhaps also apply to Scots in Scotland who are new to kilt-wearing and don't have a family tradition to fall back on. I'm not looking for a discussion about whether or not such people should or should not wear the kilt. Let's start from the position of they are going to wear, so how best to do so?

What could too traditional mean? I'm not exactly sure.... but I'm not talking about things that are obviously not traditional, like historical reenactment or the everythingCLANcrested-whitehose-PC-ghilliebrogues-flyplaid-waistcoatANDbelt-before6PM look. Maybe more like kilt "power-moves," such as mixing colours and patterns, full mask sporrans, doublets, etc. Maybe also like borderline revival things such as box pleated/kingussie kilts, patterned hose or horsehair sporrans for daywear, etc.

Despite my sympathies and interest in non-traditional kilt stuff, the vast majority of my kiltwearing is traditional. I personally think traditional is the best way to enjoy the kilt, but have been made leery of overdoing it...
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, can't be too traditional.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'll play...
    I like trad tartan kilts. But, no flashes or garter ties for me. I feel they serve no purpose. I hold my kilt socks [hose] up with nylon goat collars I bought at a local feed store, less than $5.00, nice buckle with a keeper for the end. I also feel that kilt pins are superfluous but since no one seems to know what to buy me for Christmas or birthdays I have several so I wear them all from time to time. I despise baseball caps...never wear them, I've worn berets for years as well as quality felt hats. You'll see me sporting berets with kilt as well as Rasta berets, and balmorals/tams and even [God forbid] a black, brown, or straw derby and every now and then a flat cap worn backwards. I never wear a visible sgian dhub... I feel if one goes about armed he should have the good sense to keep it well hidden. So, there you go...dressed such, I venture out into the world...If anyone has noticed that it isn't quite per "Code" they haven't said anything one way or the other.
    Rondo
    BTW, CMcG, Stand by for some pics in a few weeks of my new, non-trad jacket...I think you'll appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thescot View Post
    Nope, can't be too traditional.

Perhaps, but it isn't my tradition, and that does cause some difficulties. So, do I apply my traditions to the kilt, or give up my traditions to wear the kilt traditionally?
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Perhaps, but it isn't my tradition, and that does cause some difficulties. So, do I apply my traditions to the kilt, or give up my traditions to wear the kilt traditionally?
    Do it your way Ted. It really is "just clothing".
    Rondo

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often we say traditional when we mean historical. Tradition does gradually grow. Generally not radically however. On the other hand we have sort of defined this sub-forum as historical, just of a more recent period. I dare not stretch the envelope more at this time.
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this is in the traditional forum, and not the contemporary forum, I'll side with Jim: one can't be too traditional, but one can easily cross over the line into the realm of sartorial absurdity when trying to be "contemporary".

As far as the Lion Dance is concerned, it sounds to me as if the choreographer wanted a different interpretation of this dance than you were providing-- I doubt it had anything to do with your not being Chinese. Put another way, it was not so much a matter of clashing cultures as it was a difference in artistic vision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, I didn't notice this is the traditional kilt forum and I was kind of looking at the question backward. Sorry about that
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too traditional is when it becomes "caricature". Just an opinion. Plus-fours are traditional golfing attire, go to your local club wearing a tweed jacket and plus-fours; you will be considered "too traditional"... also a bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henry, just for the sake of conversation, could you give an example of traditional Highland attire (as opposed to historical Highland attire) that crosses the line from acceptable to caricature?

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast