X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Kyle, I love that picture of Euan Macpherson of Glentruim. Was he an idiosyncratic or habitual kilt wearer, or is there some other reason that he was shooting kilted? Do others know of pictures of kilted sportsmen?

Thanks
    M'Ll
    M'Ll,

Jock is indeed correct. Euan Macpherson of Glentruim wore the kilt frequently, in fact, he felt more at home and comfortable wearing Highland dress as opposed to trousers and a shirt, and rightly so! He definitely had his own unique style and personal flair in regards to his highly traditional approach towards Highland attire. I met Euan many times in Scotland at various Clan Macpherson functions and social gatherings, prior to his death in 2002.

He was definitely a true Macpherson and quite the Highland gentleman. He was a brilliant man, a pyschologist that practiced and taught in Edinburgh and Inverness. Euan was also a superb raconteur and enjoyed telling stories regarding the clan and the many battles and skirmishes fought throughout Clan Macpherson history. He and his wife, Sandra (Lady Glentruim), ran the Glentruim Estate for many years, yet sadly they were forced to sell it due to financial difficulties and hardship, much to their utter dismay and chagrin. Euan never fully recovered from losing Glentruim - the home of his ancestors for hundreds of years. Euan was very much a man of the "old-school," as Roddy Martine so eloquently put it in Euan's obituary.

I have become rather good friends with Euan and Sandra's son, Lachlan, and daughter, Catriona over the years. Lachlan is an avid yachtsman and lives with his wife (a Macpherson too, and active clan member) and their newborn baby in Edinburgh. Catriona and her husband live near the old Glentruim Estate in a wee town called Laggan, a very beautiful part of the central Highlands. I know Sandra quite well too; she currently lives in Edinburgh and has become quite an accomplished author. They are all a joy to be with and to chat with during our clan's annual gathering and rally in Badenoch - from whence we all came.

Portrait of Euan's great-grandfather, Lachlan Macpherson of Glentruim.

Glentruim House

For detailed photos of Glentruim House and its interior check out the following link.
    http://www.glentruimestate.co.uk/acc...se-castle.html

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 09:19 AM.