X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Here is a better view of mine, with the logo on the bottom right corner:
    Lovely colours in that tie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I also notice that the VC's tie seems to have the blue and green stripes the same width, where they appear to be different widths in your example. Curious!
    Calgary Highlander's regimental tie, Canadian unit allied with the A&S. Curious, indeed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, while we are on the subject, here is my version from Ben Silver. These neck ties are woven and made in England.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 3rd May 12 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    54 pages and still going!

I think it comes down to one thing. Generationally and Geography create very differing views on formality.

In the US, a tie alone is "dressed up". We are generally less formal than our traditional English/Scottish cousins. We do not typically have a distinction between "Smart", "Daywear", "Evening Wear" and "Formal".

I would say, generally, our definitions go "casual" (denim jeans), "casual professional" (polo shirt and slacks), "dressed up" (dress shirt, slacks or suit pants, a tie), "business professional" (Two-piece suit), and "Formal" (tuxedo realm).

Because many Americans spend the bulk of their time on the bottom two rungs of these definitions, that might explain the need to overly "Gild the Lily" so-to-speak. This is why I've been to pub kilt nights and have seen such atrocities as grown men wearing PC's, French tuxedo shirts, and silver-cantled sporrans with a pair of military desert boots and scrunched white hose! Many of us simply don't know any better!

This may explain why so many of us dress in such an exaggerated fashion when kilted. Not to mention, it's only the gentlemen that have had the good fortune of being raised amongst traditional kilties that "got it right" from the start. My first exposure to the kilt was Axl Rose wearing a kilt when he frontlined for Guns N Roses, and a family friend that wore a kilt, shirt, and tie with chuck taylor basketball shoes to play guitar for my uncle's wedding.

So, deducing that, I can see how some would dress "More Scottish than a Scot". Mostly because even the most traditionally subdued Traditional daywear (tie and tweed) would be regarded as "Formalwear" by most individuals in this country born after 1950 (or not in the Military).

To answer the question, can anyone outwith Scotland dress too traditionally? In a word, No.

Can anyone outwith Scotland wear Traditional Highland dress incorrectly? Absolutely.
    Last edited by Joshua; 12th June 12 at 12:04 PM.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    To answer the question, can anyone outwith Scotland dress too traditionally? In a word, No.

Can anyone outwith Scotland wear Traditional Highland dress incorrectly? Absolutely.

Here are a couple of examples of one of the reasons why I prefer the traditional approach...as it is the timeless approach of my own kith and kin:

The late Euan Macpherson of Glentruim, Chieftain of the Invereshie cadet branch of the Clan Macpherson, shooting in the hills surrounding Glentruim in Badenoch. Euan's son, Lachlan, is now officially styled Glentruim and has taken his late father's place as a Chieftain within the Clan Macpherson.

"The Posterity of the Three Brethern." Current Chief of the Clan Macpherson, Sir William Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, the late Euan Macpherson of Glentruim, Chieftain of the Invereshie cadet branch of the Clan Macpherson, and Alastair Macpherson of Pitmain, Chieftain of the Gillosa (Gillies) cadet branch of the Clan Macpherson - the three most senior branches of the Clan Macpherson represented at the annual Clan Macpherson Gathering and Rally in Newtonmore, Inverness-shire (Badenoch).

The Chief's standard bearer is Jamie Macpherson, second son of Sir William Macpherson, and next in line to be Chief of the Clan Macpherson by tanistry.

P.S. - Apologies for the photos not being of the highest resolution and quality; they are somewhat old and damaged a wee bit.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 12th June 12 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, I love that picture of Euan Macpherson of Glentruim. Was he an idiosyncratic or habitual kilt wearer, or is there some other reason that he was shooting kilted? Do others know of pictures of kilted sportsmen?

Thanks
    M'Ll
    Some take the high road and some take the low road. Who's in the gutter? MacLowlife

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M'LL.

Glentruim, no that is wrong, the late Euan Macpherson of Glentruim (a fascinating chap) wore the kilt in his very own particular style and it was not unusual to see him about the place kilted. You may have missed it, but go to the photo section and the "vintage" picture thread, I posted(last few days) a picture there of The Queen and Invercauld, that you might be interested in.

Some of you may be interested in a book written by Euan's wife Sandra: "A Strange and Wild Place", it relates to her life in Glentruim. Often a hard life, but with amusing, some sad, tales of people in the glen. I recommend it.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th June 12 at 03:05 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Kyle, I love that picture of Euan Macpherson of Glentruim.
    So do I!! It looks like it could have been taken anytime from the mid-1800s to the present.
    Last edited by Dale Seago; 14th June 12 at 06:03 AM.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Seago View Post
    So do I!! It looks like it could have been taken anytime from the mid-1800s to the present.
    The photo was taken on the Glentruim Estate near Laggan and Cluny Castle, in the mid 1960's, not too long after Euan and Sandra were married in Perth.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post
    Kyle, I love that picture of Euan Macpherson of Glentruim. Was he an idiosyncratic or habitual kilt wearer, or is there some other reason that he was shooting kilted? Do others know of pictures of kilted sportsmen?

Thanks
    M'Ll
    M'Ll,

Jock is indeed correct. Euan Macpherson of Glentruim wore the kilt frequently, in fact, he felt more at home and comfortable wearing Highland dress as opposed to trousers and a shirt, and rightly so! He definitely had his own unique style and personal flair in regards to his highly traditional approach towards Highland attire. I met Euan many times in Scotland at various Clan Macpherson functions and social gatherings, prior to his death in 2002.

He was definitely a true Macpherson and quite the Highland gentleman. He was a brilliant man, a pyschologist that practiced and taught in Edinburgh and Inverness. Euan was also a superb raconteur and enjoyed telling stories regarding the clan and the many battles and skirmishes fought throughout Clan Macpherson history. He and his wife, Sandra (Lady Glentruim), ran the Glentruim Estate for many years, yet sadly they were forced to sell it due to financial difficulties and hardship, much to their utter dismay and chagrin. Euan never fully recovered from losing Glentruim - the home of his ancestors for hundreds of years. Euan was very much a man of the "old-school," as Roddy Martine so eloquently put it in Euan's obituary.

I have become rather good friends with Euan and Sandra's son, Lachlan, and daughter, Catriona over the years. Lachlan is an avid yachtsman and lives with his wife (a Macpherson too, and active clan member) and their newborn baby in Edinburgh. Catriona and her husband live near the old Glentruim Estate in a wee town called Laggan, a very beautiful part of the central Highlands. I know Sandra quite well too; she currently lives in Edinburgh and has become quite an accomplished author. They are all a joy to be with and to chat with during our clan's annual gathering and rally in Badenoch - from whence we all came.

Portrait of Euan's great-grandfather, Lachlan Macpherson of Glentruim.

Glentruim House

For detailed photos of Glentruim House and its interior check out the following link.
    http://www.glentruimestate.co.uk/acc...se-castle.html

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th June 12 at 09:19 AM.

Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast