X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have about a dozen double edge razors, they range from a 1911 gillette, to several early style gillette tech models.

I have lost track of the soaps but have a go-to blend if you will, I put 4-5 drops of extra virgin olive oil into my scuttle and then use an almond size blop of CO Bigelow shave cream. The oil helps moisturize and oddly it really helps build amazing lather without any greasy feeling.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a double edge safety razor that was my grandfathers. It's a double door design mentioned above.
    I don't use any cremes or soaps. Sometimes a couple drops of oil from King of Shaves but most of the time it's just good hot water right after coming out of the shower.

I seem to get a better shave than using my old three blade razor. Plus the price of cartridges for that thing are out of sight!
    I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. - Fred Bear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you get blades? I'm guessing not the paint department at the hardware store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use an electric shaver whenever I take the notion to actually shave lol
    [-[COLOR="DimGray"]Floreat Majestas[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Red"]Semper Vigilans[/COLOR]-|-[COLOR="Navy"]Aut Pax Aut Bellum[/COLOR]-|-[I][B]Go mbeannai Dia duit[/B][/I]-]
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I consider looseness with words no less of a defect than looseness of the bowels."[/SIZE][/COLOR] [B]- John Calvin[/B]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo, ooo, can I play?

I've been straight razor shaving exclusively for six years now. I bought antique blades and had them fixed up where necessary. My first was a 1930's Double Duck Special followed shortly by an 1860's Wade & Butcher. There's nothing like a great straight shave. Here's the Duck with pimped Yellowheart scales with Mohogany inlay:

For brushes I have to recommend simple boar hair over badger. The boar takes a few shaves to get conditioned but once it does it's as soft as a silvertip with a ton more backbone. I can never get my soaps to lather as well with badger as they do with the boar. Creamy goodness.

As for soaps and cream, I use and can highly recommend http://www.thegentlemensquarter.com/ Collen is the proprietor and soap maker and her soaps are awesome, smell great and last for months, literally. I will never buy another large puck from her because I'm still working on the one I started literally too many months ago to count. You could sure do worse than to try them out. Tell her xman sent you.
    Last edited by xman; 3rd April 12 at 09:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wet shaving since I was in college in the 70s. I started shaving with my great-grandfather's Frederick Reynolds straight about 18month ago. A bit of a learning curve, but I rarely slice my face open any more. I used Col Conk soaps for many years, but recently discovered Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. Great stuff. My brush is a badger brush I got from Lee's Safety Razors about 15 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started using a double edged safety razor about six months ago. I've got a Merkur 180 razor that's pretty substantial and doesn't require me to apply pressure to my skin. I've just got a cheap-ish Tweezerman badger brush. I buy Merker blades in bulk in Amazon. For soap I just use a Van Der Hagen 'puck' in a ceramic ramequin.

I now have the best and closest shaves of my life with little to no irritation of my skin. This probably has as much to do with the preparation and shaving techniques that I have picked up with my new shaving style. I can't see myself ever going back to the days of disposable blades and creams in aerosol cans.

I can also second the recommendation of the book above - "Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While on holiday, I heard an advert on the radio here in Lethbridge about a new men's barbershop called "Tommy Gun's" that offered hot shaves. I went in two days ago... They did a fantastic job. 6 hot towels, some nice shaving soap and face creams before and after... And they did use a straight razor (disposable blade)... Only problem is.... Set me back $42 + tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrus View Post
    Where do you get blades? I'm guessing not the paint department at the hardware store.
    razorbladesandmore.com is where I get mine. I stay away from the ones at Walgreens or Walmart. Though the Wilkenson's from Walmart are not that bad in a pinch. I prefer Persona's in the red pack. I think they are made in Israel and packaged in Mexico. ??

I use a Gillette New open comb head on a newer Tech handle. I also have some Gellette Super Speeds and a Knack. I also use the CO Bigelow cream. I really like the menthol feeling. I'd like to get some soaps from Momma Bear. She has a large selection of scents. I just use a boar brush from Van Der Hagan that I bought when I first started. It works just fine for me. I also have a boar brush from Burma-Shave, but I haven't used it. I just like the look of the red and white handle.
    Last edited by HeathBar; 3rd April 12 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone heard of using a straight razor to shave a head? I generally shave my head and face all at once. Currently, I shave once every 6-10 days using electric clippers (no guard, just on the lowest setting). My cheeks and scalp have not been completely bare for 8 or so years now, I'm always a little scruffy. I have a long goatee (chin only, I don't do mustaches) and twice a year I grow the whole beard out while still trimming my head hair.

The last straight razor shave I had was before prom in '99. I'd like to have another one, but I don't really go to barber's shops. My grandfather was a barber and my mother was a hair dresser, so, I grew up getting hair cuts and shaves at home.

Is the head just too round to get a descent straight razor shave?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast