X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a completely different note, but still in the wetshaving realm... I went for a shave and a haircut the other day. I wanted to experience a straight shave before trying it myself. I've watched videos, but I just wanted to see how things felt.

Well, needless to say it was a disappointing experience. I went home afterwards and then still did 3 passes with my DE at home to make it closer to a DFS / BBS (that's Damn Fine Shave / Baby Bottom Shave). It could be that they guy was a little out of practice, but there were plenty of times when he was cutting on me without any cream (went over the same spot repeatedly). I would have been happier if he would have just done beard reduction and then hit it three times vs what he did.

The hot towels etc, was quite nice, but I can do a better shave with a DE at home (for a lot less money), but it was all about the experience. I'd give it a shot again, but maybe in a major metropolitan city where the master barber does 2-3 shaves a day!

... Linedrive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrive View Post
    On a completely different note, but still in the wetshaving realm... I went for a shave and a haircut the other day. I wanted to experience a straight shave before trying it myself. I've watched videos, but I just wanted to see how things felt.

Well, needless to say it was a disappointing experience. I went home afterwards and then still did 3 passes with my DE at home to make it closer to a DFS / BBS (that's Damn Fine Shave / Baby Bottom Shave). It could be that they guy was a little out of practice, but there were plenty of times when he was cutting on me without any cream (went over the same spot repeatedly). I would have been happier if he would have just done beard reduction and then hit it three times vs what he did.

The hot towels etc, was quite nice, but I can do a better shave with a DE at home (for a lot less money), but it was all about the experience. I'd give it a shot again, but maybe in a major metropolitan city where the master barber does 2-3 shaves a day!

... Linedrive
    Sounds like your barber was either not very skilled with a straight, or was VERY out of practice.

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer View Post
    Sounds like your barber was either not very skilled with a straight, or was VERY out of practice.

ith:
    Very possible. My dad (a professional barber) had to give up straight razor service due to sky-high insurance premiums and multiple regulations by the state. So you'll find few "old school" barbers who know the skill, and even fewer who get to practice it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltboy View Post
    Very possible. My dad (a professional barber) had to give up straight razor service due to sky-high insurance premiums and multiple regulations by the state. So you'll find few "old school" barbers who know the skill, and even fewer who get to practice it.
    Very true. The last 20 years has been hard on barbers, here at least. Regulations mean they now have to use the disposable "shavettes" instead of regular straight razors. My barber said that they'd given up as the ever increasing regulations and insurance were just too much to keep up with.
    He mentioned that (at one point, at least) the state wanted to classify a SHAVE as a "medical procedure" since there was a risk of bloodshed!?!

ith:

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linedrive View Post
    So, for anyone interested in getting started in straights... I highly recommend Larry at whippeddog dot com

He has a sight unseen deal for around $55 which includes a honed blade and strop. There is also a sight unseen, cosmetically flawed deal as well... even cheaper. Here is a photo of my flawed razor. It is fantastic!

p.s. I have yet to give it a whirl yet. Getting up the nerve!

I agree with his sight unseen deals, fantastic! With the exception of shave cream and a brush it is almost a turn key shave setup.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which brings up another point for us DE types- What is everyone's favorite blade?
    We have one vote for Asco it seems.
    Are the ASCO blades the American Safetyrazor Co blades. I think the blades sold in Walgreens are from here. But then I have some plain blades that were wrapped in plain white paper. I think they were from the above company, but a much sharper blade. I got them as throw ins when I bought a blade sampler package. If you are looking for different blades to try and not wanting to buy bulk just yet, go for a blade sampler. I got mine from www.razorbladesandmore.com, they have several different sizes to choose from.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The ascot blades are made in Egypt if I recall the packaging. To date my favorite blades are still the shark blades for decently close shave and some durability, I get a week out of a blade easy.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which brings up another point for us DE types- What is everyone's favorite blade?
    We have one vote for Asco it seems.

I've had mixed luck so far with what is available locally and am looking to do a bulk internet order.
    I've got a rather unfortunate situation in rather sensitive skin but a beard the texture of a nail brush

ith:
    Not been doing this terribly long, but I got a Russian Sampler from an ebay seller.
    I liked the Astra Super Platinum, loved the Voskhod coated and am itching to try the Ladas and Rapiras.
    He also threw in one Treet blade which didnt make it through one pass before it hit the can.
    Not a fan of Feathers at the moment.

Daft Wullie, ye do hae the brains o’ a beetle, an’ I’ll fight any scunner who says different!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about some shave den photos. This isn't quite everything, but what I'm using the most right now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came across something too funny not to share in THIS thread (of all threads)

LoL!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beardreavement1_sm.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	7575

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast