X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks to a recent blade swap I just finished a nice shave with my early model Gillette tech and an Asco blade. I lathered up with my usual CO Bigelow cream and a few drops of EVOO. The shave was quite nice, no real pulling felt, not a single weeper, my neck still feels a touch rough but my face is baby butt smoothe . I think the neck issue may have more to do with improper hydration than the blade though, I am going to shave with this blade until the edge notably goes dull.

I have been trying to find the perfect blade that for my beard will get me the best blend of longevity and smoothness. So far this has been the shark blades, but I am still looking!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My go to daily shaver is a gillette adjustable double edge with feather blades. The razor is infinately adjustable depending the state of my growth, can make it as agressive as needed. I have several soaps from Moma Bear soap company which I really enjoy and a few creams I got for christmas from trufitt & hill. A few years ago my kids got me a shave mug from Dirty Bird Pottery which keeps the shave cream warm (awesome). It makes shaving a joy instead of a daily chore.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here is a pic of a few razors currently in rotation, along with my repurposed pipe holder and shave scuttle.
    Last edited by GrainReaper; 2nd May 12 at 05:43 PM. Reason: couldnt get pic to link from phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently started acquiring old razors - nothing special, just knock about daily user grade.
    Find that I love shaving this way.
    Despite now having 8 double edged razors, this may be THE one.

Daft Wullie, ye do hae the brains o’ a beetle, an’ I’ll fight any scunner who says different!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and this.

Daft Wullie, ye do hae the brains o’ a beetle, an’ I’ll fight any scunner who says different!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear a gem single edge or a DE slant is the closest to the shave you get with a straight razor.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tonight was the third shave on the Asco blade, best shave so far... No weepers no irritation, and I had a second BBS shave with this blade, for me I find the second shave to be much better than the first on most all blades perhaps due to my face smoothing out the factory edge for shave 2 etc.

I am digging this blade so far, now to push it to dullness and see how it stacks up against the others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrainReaper View Post
    Tonight was the third shave on the Asco blade, best shave so far...

Which brings up another point for us DE types- What is everyone's favorite blade?
    We have one vote for Asco it seems.

I've had mixed luck so far with what is available locally and am looking to do a bulk internet order.
    I've got a rather unfortunate situation in rather sensitive skin but a beard the texture of a nail brush

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been trying different blades since I started wetshaving over a year ago (after years of carts). Some which stand out are Gillette Super Thins, Iridium (if you can get hold of them), Polsilvers, Ladas, Gillette Nacet.
    Only blade I had a terrible result with (which was not my fault) was a Croma. Utter carnage.
    insert signature of your choice here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, for anyone interested in getting started in straights... I highly recommend Larry at whippeddog dot com

He has a sight unseen deal for around $55 which includes a honed blade and strop. There is also a sight unseen, cosmetically flawed deal as well... even cheaper. Here is a photo of my flawed razor. It is fantastic!

p.s. I have yet to give it a whirl yet. Getting up the nerve!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast