X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wet Shaving Thread!

I see there have been several threads to this end, but being a die hard wet shaver of both the double edge safety razor and the venerable straight edge razor I am always open to new methods and techniques, and having such a large contingency from over the pond I would love to learn some tips on shave creams, brush selection, and any other bits shave related that might be new to me.

I know you are out there, so share your memories of your first wet shave, the first time you ran grandpas DE or straight down your face, that "ah-ha" moment when the right blade and razor touched your face, your favorite aftershave or balm....

Interested in getting started wet shaving? Need help? This is the thread for all things wet shaving related!!

So come on in and spin a tale of shaving like your grandfather, or pull up a barbers chair and learn the nearly lost art of a proper wet shave!
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a shavette until I can afford to pick up a strop for the razor I have.

Will have to say the biggest "ah-ha" moment for me was trying Castle Forbes shaving cream. Best stuff there is.

Jim

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to pick up a shavette, I have heard good things about the Parker ones as far as how it holds the blade, balance, etc.
    "Everything is within walking distance if you've got the time"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a number of years I used a straight-edge given me by my barber when I was sixteen. It required a lot of maintenance and was not allowed in some places - for instance in college dorms. Along the way I got a free razor in a promotion pack with some gel-type shave cream. My biggest interest is in not over-using the planet so the shave cream was the only I ever owned. I have never bought a can of shaving cream. I have a brush and a mug. I throw in bar soap that gets too small to use. Once in a while I get a Colgate shaving soap or someone gives me a specialty wooden bowl-type shaving soap.

I decided to see who long a blade lasts rather than change them frequently. I decided a year is about as long as I can go. I change my blade annually. At this time I am using an old double-edge razor found on ebay. It works just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Madainn mhath,

I will say that I picked up an old double edge from a garage sale in the area and with some blades from the local Walgreen's, It functions fine. I use a brush handed down from an uncle and a mug from my father-in-law. I have his straight razor (have not had the guts to scrape my face with it yet). My cousin uses a double edge that is a bit heavier and a bit longer than the standard. He claims that he does not have to press but lets the razor do the work?

Anyway, I am satisfied with what I have and the results.

Feumaidh mi ruith,

Seawolf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I could handle a straight razor. My eye for angles is terrible, so I think I'd probably hurt myself more than necessary. However, I was wondering about the safety razors. I've read a good deal about them on the Art of Manliness website. I've tried in expensive cartidge razors with a single blade, and was horrified at the results... not to mention scraped raw. The sensation was not unlike scraping the hair and skin from your cheeks, chin and neck with the top of a soup can. I feel I need a minimum of two blades, but I prefer three. Many people have extolled the safety razor's virtues. Seriously, how do you avoid the soup can problem? I know I was doing something wrong, but what really works?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrus View Post
    I'm not sure I could handle a straight razor. My eye for angles is terrible, so I think I'd probably hurt myself more than necessary. However, I was wondering about the safety razors. I've read a good deal about them on the Art of Manliness website. I've tried in expensive cartidge razors with a single blade, and was horrified at the results... not to mention scraped raw. The sensation was not unlike scraping the hair and skin from your cheeks, chin and neck with the top of a soup can. I feel I need a minimum of two blades, but I prefer three. Many people have extolled the safety razor's virtues. Seriously, how do you avoid the soup can problem? I know I was doing something wrong, but what really works?
    I recommend - Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving

http://www.amazon.com/Leisureguys-Gu...3458949&sr=1-1

It is for double edges though the chapters on prep, creams, ect can help anyone. Also a really nice guy.

Jim

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago, after being disappointed with the declining quality of disposable twin blades, and the rising cost of blades for my Atra, my wife bought me a Geo Trumper double edge, some of their bowls of soaps and a nice badger brush.

Shaving ceased to be a daily annoying chore and became my own little personal luxury. The routine of whipping up a lather and hearing the razor actually sing as it does it's job is wonderfully relaxing. And I get the best shave I've had in many years. I also use C.O. Bigelow soap from Bath and Body Works. Not sure which soaps I like better.

I also very occasionally use a straight razor that uses disposable blades. I get an even better shave, but only in spots. I'm just not that good at using it, and am very, very slowly gaining confidence in using it. I'd like to someday become proficient enough to purchase a "real" one, but that will likely not happen, simply because I love my double edge so much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my Great-Great Grandfather's shaving mug, an old 1920's German steel straight razor that I use on weekends, and a copy of the Gillette patent "double door" safety razor - where you twist the handle and the top opens up butterfly style rather than you having to disassemble the head to remove and insert razors.

I go back and forth on soaps, right now I'm just using the cheap Van Der Hagen with aloe, which has a nice lather and isn't too pungent (which I cannot stand).

ith:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My double edge is the same. I find that I can get a great shave from this "tool" with the not to "stinky" mug pucks. I have been playing around with blades. Schick, Gillette, etc. It is all a matter of touch.

A' Chàisg sona,

Seawolf

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast