X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Why X Markers should try SCD

An invitation to the dance

Over the years I have often read on our forum gents complaining because their Ladies were unhappy with their desire to wear highland finery. Others have said that they just don't feel comfortable wearing the kilt unless it is to some appropriately Scottish event. The problem of not being able to find others who wear highland attire locally has also cropped up.

To all these folks, and to all the other Ladies and Gentlemen of our forum, may I humbly suggest...

"Try Scottish Country Dancing!"

SCD is a wonderful activity that offers a lot of good healthy exercise, a chance to don your kilt on a regular basis, and lets you meet with an exceptionally friendly group of people who are interested in Scottish Heritage activities. For those with spouses and girlfriends who do not approve of the kilt here is an opportunity to win them over. I can't tell you how many lady friends I have who would love to take a dance class but have husbands that absolutely refuse. Gents this is a fantastic way to not only win over a reluctant spouse to the kilt but a chance for you to make that special lady happy.

"Can't Dance" you say. Nonsense! SCD was for the common people. Unlike Highland Dancing it is not about performance. The set (the number of couples needed for each dance) work together as a team to get everyone through the dance. It is cooperative not competitive. People dance the steps to their own ability. Age is not a factor, many dancers I regularly
    dance with are in their seventies, though in truth they don't look it. (Did I mention how good and healthy SCD was?) Very few people have the physical limitations that allow them to say "I can't dance". Most men won't dance because they fear being embarrassed (NOTE: Scottish Country Dancers are very welcoming, helpful, and understanding of beginners) or because they feel that dancing isn't masculine.

To this second group I have a simple answer...watch the film "Tunes of Glory"

There are Scottish Country Dance classes all over the world! For more information about SCD and nearby classes please check out the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society's website at RSCDS.org

I hope you will all consider accepting this invitation to the dance!

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 18th May 12 at 03:37 PM. Reason: For the heck of it...
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well stated and also good for the mind in exicuting the sequence of steps in the jigs, reels and Strathspeys. In many groups you do not need partners except those you meet up with at the dance. Costs are usually shared and not a great expense.
    So get on the internet and inquire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met my wife of 29 years now doing SCD. We still do it on occasion. Right now there are no convenient classes, but the local group meets at a nearby home once and month and we usually try to attend.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muirkirkca View Post
    Well stated and also good for the mind in exicuting the sequence of steps in the jigs, reels and Strathspeys.
    The was a study out a year or so ago that looked at exercise as a factor in senility/dementia. The only type of exercise that seemed to have any positive effect on retarding senility/dementia due to aging was.... DANCE! (It didn't matter what kind of dance but I'm sure we all can see the benefit of a type of dancing that is open to and welcoming for the old as well as young)

Cheers

Jamie

Edmond Rostand

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another plus for SCD

You know those hobbies that are really expensive and require a lot of equipment? SCD isn't one of them!

All you need is a pair of dance shoes

It is preferable for the gentlemen to have a kilt to wear to the dances, but I think most of our members have that part covered ;)

Class fees, compared to almost any other type of dance class or activity, are pretty reasonable.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 9th April 12 at 09:51 AM.

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because there are both physical and mental aspects to dancing. I haven't done any SCD, but I know that in ballroom dance, the man has to decide on the step, lead the step while preparing the next step, maintain the technique for the step, all the while looking out for other dancers!

While I have met a few people that just really COULDN'T dance, most men are just afraid of looking like they don't know what they're doing. Of course, I counter that with "nobody else in class knows either, so you're all equal." Plus, I tell them that they get to put their arms around all sorts of ladies and their wife can't say anything about it.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved SCD, and wish that there was a dance group near me. I, too, met my wife of 11 years (this Sept) at an SCD event. She's not a dancer, but a mutual friend of ours was, and she set us up. Many's the happy hour I spent at Iowa State University dancing jigs, reels, and Strathspeys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to make the time to check out the San Diego group's beginner series. One question is their request for "flat, soft-soled shoes." Without buying "dance shoes" right away, what should we show up in to start?

Some would get a giggle *or perhaps a groan* from their parenthetical remark "No flip-flops" LOL
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sydnie,

For the first class just wear comfortable shoes without much of a heel. Atheltic shoes would be fine. By flat, soft soled shoes think of something like a ballet shoe. A number of lady dancers use them instead of the dance ghillies. Some gentlemen prefer a jazz dance shoe.

Cheers

Jamie

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Jamie. So Bob's Rockports would work, to start?

Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast