X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I whole heartedly agree with everything Jamie has said. Not only that, The National Health service agrees as well -

http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/Scottishdancing.aspx

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Scottish country dancing just the same as Céilidh/Céilí dancing?

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrose87 View Post
    Is Scottish country dancing just the same as Céilidh/Céilí dancing?
    Related. When I think of Ceilidh dancing I think of round the room dancing and set dancing without a lot of detailed footwork. Perhaps Barry could elaborate?

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my late teens and early twenties I danced sometimes four nights a week. The exercise was excellent. Now, as you all now know, I had a premature heart attack last year. My doctors were amazed by the amount of collateral circulation (which probably saved my life); that's unusual in someone my age. I theorized that Scottish Country Dancing helped to grow some of those extra arteries in my heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceilidh vs. Contra

Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Related. When I think of Ceilidh dancing I think of round the room dancing and set dancing without a lot of detailed footwork.
    Ceilidh dancing is like contra dancing, except: contra is in long lines up and down the floor. Ceilidh moves circularly around the floor. Both are called.

SCD is much like English Country Dancing. Except. That. It's. Scottish. And. Not. English. ()

Even though ECD and SCD are very similar, ECD just feels ... English (I think because of the music). Of course, nothing else is like a strathspey, and that is uniquely Scottish.

I enjoy ECD, SCD, and contra. They're all different, and all very much fun.
    ===

boB
    aka ScotFiddler, Playing Traditional Scottish Fiddle Music in Yellowstone Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BozemanboB View Post
    Even though ECD and SCD are very similar, ECD just feels ... English (I think because of the music). Of course, nothing else is like a strathspey, and that is uniquely Scottish.
    Well said, boB. English figures tend to be a bit more intricate. For this reason, the steps used in ECD are simpler. SCD steps require more energy. I know this because I tried to dance ECD using SCD footwork, and about wore myself to a frazzle. Both are great fun and beautiful artforms in their own rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re SCD, It is a marvellous excuse to be kilted. This week I wore a kilt at a ceilidh Monday and a class Tuesday, then Wednesday and Thursday and at an old school function on Friday (Scottish attire preferred) followed by Saturday at a SCD all day of dance. Last week and most are similar. Of course kilts are left on after or worn prior. eg I wore one to my Rotary Club yesterday before going to the ceilidh. Dancing in a kilt is far better, just ask any Scottish Country Dancer. SCD is proven great for anti-aging and being a nice way of getting or keeping fit, helping the brain to function better and a proven delayer of onset of dementia and Alzeheimers. These are collectively very good reasons to do Scottish Country Dancing (SCD) and of course wear a kilt while doing it and collectively why I took SCD up as my main retirement activity!

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12