X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it finally happened....

I was standing in line at the post office...a very short line YAY!!! to mail in my taxes, and a nice woman in line struck up a conversation. Her girlfriend had gotten married and all the men were in kilts, yadda yadda. It was pleasant. Her ex-boyfriend was in the wedding party and the groom gave him a sgian dubh. Her mother was there (I assume it was her mother) nodding pleasantly throughout the whole thing. I told her about Ardenwood Tartan Day this weekend.

After she finished her transaction, she stopped at the table where you fill out the certified mail forms, etc. etc. and pulled a business card out of her purse. She flipped it over and wrote down a telephone number. Then she handed it to me, winked, and walked out of the post office with her mom.

I figured, if this was EVER going to happen, and it's unbelievably unlikely, it really should have been a cocktail napkin with the phone number writ large in lipstick. But no such luck. *sigh* No napkin and lipstick...rather, business card and ball point pen. At least she didn't tweet me or suggest that we align our smart phones such that the bluetooth signals aligned. I mourn a bygone age....

OH, right...... I was wearing a kilt, today.

And no, I'm not calling her up for a date.
    Last edited by Alan H; 11th April 12 at 10:02 AM.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to know you've still got it, eh? Good on ya, Alan!
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "And no, I'm not calling her up for a date."

Shouldn't need to, she'll probably be stalking you on Saturday at Ardenwood.

"It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guid oan ya Alan
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to call her?! She probably struggled to work up the nerve to give you her number, and now you're going to blow her off, crushing her feelings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Not going to call her?! She probably struggled to work up the nerve to give you her number, and now you're going to blow her off, crushing her feelings.
    The Luminous Joan might have a different take on the matter. . . I'm just sayin'

This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 31 seconds.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor girl will be devestated at the fact you dont call, probably sat by the phone right now! Can only say WHAT A MAN, ha ha ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take-home lesson: Even 50 year old bald guys look hott in a kilt. That, or maybe she thought I was really wealthy because I was sending off fat envelopes to the IRS. Silly woman!

Imagine what it must be like for trim 25 year old guys with hair!

BTW, nothing quite like this has ever happened before. I've gotten smiles, lots of them. I've even gotten a few winks. I"ve had many a pleasant, short conversation. Once at a Nor Cal Rabble get-together at the Devils Canyon Brewery I got a very open "come-on" look that lasted quite a while from a rather inebriated patron. But a phone number? Never. The whole thing seems very surreal to me. Truth.
    Last edited by Alan H; 11th April 12 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Take-home lesson: Even 50 year old bald guys look hott in a kilt. That, or maybe she thought I was really wealthy because I was sending off fat envelopes to the IRS. Silly woman!

Imagine what it must be like for trim 25 year old guys with hair!

BTW, nothing quite like this has ever happened before. I've gotten smiles, lots of them. I've even gotten a few winks. I"ve had many a pleasant, short conversation. Once at a Nor Cal Rabble get-together at the Devils Canyon Brewery I got a very open "come-on" look that lasted quite a while from a rather inebriated patron. But a phone number? Never. The whole thing seems very surreal to me. Truth.
    Nah, if she thought you were really wealthy, your CPA would be e-filing your returns for you.

Surprised this is your first digit-hit on!
    Alan's charismatic and looks like Wiliam Hurt, plus a kilt? That's like ladykiller dynamite.
    Heck if I wasn't married to Mr. Plaid, who owns a lot of shotguns, I'd give Alan the ol' Tribiani "How you doin'?"
    ...and I'm almost 20 years younger.

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your DUTY, never say NO !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast