X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Red Robertson

I waited ever so patiently, a month extra for navy hose here (my fault for not checking availability). Much to my pleasure, and I watched its travel daily, my basic shipping was expedited courtesy Scotweb!

Many at X Marks helped me with advice in ordering, with a special mention to AKScott. I'm quite pleased with this Balmoral in Locharron 16 oz wool.

After much fretting over the length, I think I made the right call. My only regret was the waist. Everyone says to measure snugly at your natural waist and warns not to use your pants' size, but I probably should have. It's a little tighter than snug.

But alas. That one is my fault and a lesson learned. Scotweb did a wonderful job, and I came to be familiar with their friendly customer service over the months!

It's just impossible to capture the vibrant colors in a photo, but these come closest.

Sandia Park, NM, USA (near Albuquerque, NM)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That is quite nice looking -- and you do wear it well. Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    Rev. Rob, Clan MacMillan, NM, USA
    CCXX, CCXXI - Quidquid necesse est.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Thumperian Principle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kilt looks great! As far as the waist measurement goes, it looks to my eye like you are wearing the kilt nearer you pants waist than your true waist. It looks like the top of the kilt (where your hands are) is nearer your true waist. The bottom of the kilt looks good now which would mean it will look too short if you put the buckles at the true waist. In the future, if you want a kilt you can wear with a PC jacket you need it to sit at the true waist with a rise of about 2 inches. The overall length will be longer than this kilt. If you like wearing the kilt at the pants waist then you need to measure the waist where you wear your pants.
    But again, the kilt looks great!
    Last edited by McElmurry; 17th April 12 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very smart, especially since my wife is a Robertson!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks great. It should fit snugly. I think that it should come up to your navel pretty exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, indeed. Enjoy every second of it!!!

I'm rather partial to that tartan. Here's a rendition of the same tartan, but the material is Marton Mills, 16 oz. This one was had from Reid Kilts.

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, thats it.Love the Tartan but!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donnachaidh Drumair, if it feels too snug, have you tried loosening up the straps a bit? The second strap (on the left) is superfluous and can actually be a bit constricting.

Over all, I really like the look. I'm generally not a fan of Glengarrys, but combined with the contemporary black on black of the shirt and tie, plus the tasteful lack of a belt, it really works. Good on you!

Quote Originally Posted by McElmurry View Post
    The kilt looks great! As far as the waist measurement goes, it looks to my eye like you are wearing the kilt nearer you pants waist than your true waist. It looks like the top of the kilt (where your hands are) is nearer your true waist. The bottom of the kilt looks good now which would mean it will look too short if you put the buckles at the true waist. In the future, if you want a kilt you can wear with a PC jacket you need it to sit at the true waist with a rise of about 2 inches. The overall length will be longer than this kilt. If you like wearing the kilt at the pants waist then you need to measure the waist where you wear your pants.
    But again, the kilt looks great!
    I agree that the kilt looks great, but I don't think the buckles look like they are at his pants waist at all. Perhaps the OP can comment?
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McElmurry View Post
    It looks like the top of the kilt (where your hands are) is nearer your true waist.
    I was always under the impression from all my reading and researching, including "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!" that you don't wear any of it over your ribs. If I took it any higher that's where it would be. That be my true waist. My pants are definitely worn much lower (I'm pretty lanky).
    Last edited by Donnachaidh Drumair; 17th April 12 at 05:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast