X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Donnachaidh Drumair, if it feels too snug, have you tried loosening up the straps a bit? The second strap (on the left) is superfluous and can actually be a bit constricting.

Over all, I really like the look. I'm generally not a fan of Glengarrys, but combined with the contemporary black on black of the shirt and tie, plus the tasteful lack of a belt, it really works. Good on you!
    Thanks! I don't really have a proper rest of the ensemble yet, so I took my band Glen and black shirt and tie to wear. I like Glens, but indeed, I need a balmoral. I need a proper white or blue dress shirt that doesn't poof out on me at the waist, as well.

Great tip about the second strap. I'd been wondering about loosening that a notch or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tulloch View Post
    That looks great. It should fit snugly. I think that it should come up to your navel pretty exactly.
    I was just wondering. I'd have at least liked it to come to the middle notch rather than the last or second to last one. Feels more like a girdle any tighter. But if that's normal, then no worries.

It comes up a little over the navel, but same idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denmcdough View Post
    Very nice, indeed. Enjoy every second of it!!!

I'm rather partial to that tartan. Here's a rendition of the same tartan, but the material is Marton Mills, 16 oz. This one was had from Reid Kilts.

Hooray!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guardsman View Post
    sorry, thats it.Love the Tartan but!
    My first kilt dear and I'm in the very first building stages. Still got something rude to say, spit it out. I'm doin' the best with what I have so far. And that's all I have to say. Sorry but.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Donnachaidh, yes Robertson is one of the most striking tartans. It looks good with your black shirt and glengarry. It put me in mind of myself thirty years ago when I was hitch hiking in southern France wearing a red top, Robertson kilt and red socks, turned a few heads and actually caused a car accident!

regards beardie beastie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardie Beastie View Post
    Hi Donnachaidh, yes Robertson is one of the most striking tartans. It looks good with your black shirt and glengarry. It put me in mind of myself thirty years ago when I was hitch hiking in southern France wearing a red top, Robertson kilt and red socks, turned a few heads and actually caused a car accident!
    I figure with the loud and bright Robertson to just go all out, it's the fun of the tartan! I've had bedeviled notions of going all red too. I even bought some cheap red hose (tall socks from SportKilt) for such an occasion until I can afford red diced or custom tartan ones. ;-)

And thanks for the compliments. I'll get an Argyll jacket and proper fitting vest too, but I didn't think the black-on-black and navy hose too atrocious for this occasion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guardsman View Post
    sorry, thats it.Love the Tartan but!

Hmm, not sure I understand what this is supppse to mean. I think Donnachaidh Drumair looks awesome. Surely the above post was not derogatory!??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnachaidh Drumair View Post
    I was always under the impression from all my reading and researching, including "So You're Going to Wear the Kilt!" that you don't wear any of it over your ribs. If I took it any higher that's where it would be. That be my true waist. My pants are definitely worn much lower (I'm pretty lanky).
    J. 'Scotty' Thompson's book is to be taken with a grain of salt. I too own his book, but have come to find most of the information presented is heavily biased and rubbish - just my opinion. I bought his book years ago when I was around 13 or 14 years old. I find that informative outlets such as this forum, with so many perspectives and quality information in regards to Highland dress and the manner of wearing it correctly, is far superior to almost any book on the subject. Again, just my opinion. I think your kilt looks very smart and agree, the third strap is indeed superfluous - matter of fact, I recently sent several kilts to our own Matthew Newsome to have the third strap removed entirely. I had already removed the belt loops as well, as I do not wear a belt with the kilt any longer.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 23rd April 12 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    J. 'Scotty' Thompson's book is to be taken with a grain of salt. I too own his book, but have come to find most of the information presented is heavily biased and rubbish - just my opinion. I bought his book years ago when I was around 13 or 14 years old. I find that informative outlets such as this forum, with so many perspectives and quality information in regards to Highland dress and the manner of wearing it correctly, is far superior to almost any book on the subject. Again, just my opinion. I think your kilt looks very smart and agree, the third strap is indeed superfluous - matter of fact, I recently sent several kilts to our own Matthew Newsome to have the third strap removed entirely. I had already removed the belt loops as well, as I do not wear a belt any longer.

Cheers,
    I concur, of course. I didn't agree with everything he said, and would err towards this forum's consensus over a book's, which is bound to date itself regardless of personal opinions therein. But I was looking for something "authoritative" and have seen little to contradict it in regards to general area of wear on the natural waist (for full weight, full yardage traditional kilt anyway).

I took some advice from here on belts (and ignored it per dark hose in this instance, I have lighter pairs). I clearly thought the belt was too much in this case. When drumming in a band or with a piper or two and in dressier situations, I'll keep it around, but I was quite pleased at how much I enjoyed the look sans buckle.

And thank you very much! I'm even more happy with the kilt, if that was possible, after all the compliments!

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right , not the wearing of the Kilt but the sporran , glengarry and pose. My Mum was a Robertson, lovely tartan. Your kilt, striking!I take it your in a pipe band so obviously proud, but you look uncomfortable to me. I expect sporran strap higher , try . Cheers. P.S. try hands on front of kilt ,like a cowboy on his belt, best wishes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast