X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guardsman View Post
    sorry, thats it.Love the Tartan but!
    Far be it from me to words into another Bloke's mouth but I think Guardsman may be speaking Scots here, consequently there may be some confusion as to the intent of the post.

My interpretation is:

"Sorry, that's it" - meaning 'I have nothing else to add'. Inferring you look fine.

"I love the tartan, but" - meaning 'He loves the tartan as well' It is common in Scots dialect to add 'but' as an emphasis. Similar words used in Scots (generally, but not all regions) are 'Ken' (do [don't] you know?) or 'So it is' or 'See' (see?).

I don't think there was an intention to offend. Do correct me if I'm wrong Guardsman.

My opinion is, your Kilt is fine, it's worn at your true waist as far as my in-expert eye can tell and you look the bees knees. My one critique (from a personal perspective) you don't need the glengarry. Great in a pipe band, not with that rig. I've got one too, It's the coolest hat I've ever owned but I never wear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right , not the wearing of the Kilt but the sporran , glengarry and pose. My Mum was a Robertson, lovely tartan. Your kilt, striking!I take it your in a pipe band so obviously proud, but you look uncomfortable to me. I expect sporran strap higher , try . Cheers. P.S. try hands on front of kilt ,like a cowboy on his belt, best wishes
    Well... That kind of sums it. I should stop trying to play mediator.

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said English bloke. Like to meet you, you understand the Scots mentality. I was born a sassenach of Scots parents, say no more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, John, for clarity. I was rather confused. Now I'm enlightened. Those funny Scots!!!! lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    J. 'Scotty' Thompson's book is to be taken with a grain of salt. I too own his book, but have come to find most of the information presented is heavily biased and rubbish - just my opinion. I bought his book years ago when I was around 13 or 14 years old. I find that informative outlets such as this forum, with so many perspectives and quality information in regards to Highland dress and the manner of wearing it correctly, is far superior to almost any book on the subject. Again, just my opinion. I think your kilt looks very smart and agree, the third strap is indeed superfluous - matter of fact, I recently sent several kilts to our own Matthew Newsome to have the third strap removed entirely. I had already removed the belt loops as well, as I do not wear a belt any longer.

Cheers,
    It's rare that I disagree with Kyle, but this is one of those times. Every opinion expressed here or elsewhere is heavily biased, and if you were to follow Scotty Thompson's advice to the letter, you'd not go far wrong in almost any situation. Obviously the third strap and the belt loops are somewhat superfluous, but most of what he wrote is pretty well-grounded and conservative. Most of us don't wear white hose, but the great majority of his advice leads the novice in the best way of traditionally wearing the kilt. His advice is hardly "rubbish."

Of course this forum is a much more thorough and wide ranging source than the book, but the book is a good, concise, and well thought out starting place. I really don't think one could go very far wrong in taking his advice to heart, especially in the beginning of kilt wearing. It was my own starting place years ago, and, while I have altered a few things over the years, I can't say that I've strayed too far from the starting place I got from So You're Going to Wear the Kilt. And my own practices are pretty well in line with Kyle other exemplary models of well turned out gentlemen in highland attire.

I still recommend the book to anyone who is new to the kilt. But that's just my opinion as well.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right , not the wearing of the Kilt but the sporran , glengarry and pose. My Mum was a Robertson, lovely tartan. Your kilt, striking!I take it your in a pipe band so obviously proud, but you look uncomfortable to me. I expect sporran strap higher , try . Cheers. P.S. try hands on front of kilt ,like a cowboy on his belt, best wishes
    Indeed, I usually wear the chain ones higher, but ordered this leather strap too small. I'm not a professional model. Not good in front of cameras. Plus, as I mentioned, it is a wee tighter than I'm used to. It's probably more just not liking cameras though. I am indeed uncomfortable, but proud of the kilt.

I suppose I've been in one pipe band or another for so long that the glengarry has grown on me more than any civvies will understand. So I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with nearly everyone on that front, - I love 'em! Though I want a balmoral too. I would agree glens are perhaps more appropriate "in uniform".

Sorry about the rush to judgment. It was constructive criticism, after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a beautiful kilt. I own a Newsome box-pleat in Robertson (woven by Dalgliesh). Love it and the colours. You did well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you look good. As others have mentioned, the lower strap on the right hip is not necessary. i prefer to have them left off--tbey tend to pull MY aprons oddly across. On my kilt with the third strap, I have to leave it pretty loose.

A to the headgear...wear what you like. That is not just token commentary. If you really like it, wear it. Again, I think you look well put together. The black makes a pretty modern look on an otherwise traditional turn out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeyrobertson View Post
    It is a beautiful kilt. I own a Newsome box-pleat in Robertson (woven by Dalgliesh). Love it and the colours. You did well!
    Thanks! This being my first, I went with a basic unadventurous sett pleating.

I considered Dalgliesh wool, but will save that for 1) when I'm more experienced and 2) when I have all the money to spare.

I am dying to see what a box-pleat Robertson looks like though, as I did consider that, as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123