X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kirking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirking

I understand that the Taos Presbyterian Church, (the one right beside Kit Carson Park), will have a Kirking of the Tartan on May 20, 2012.
    Last edited by gordontaos; 21st April 12 at 11:00 AM.
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!

Sandia Park, NM, USA (near Albuquerque, NM)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be quite enjoyable. However, I'll be at the Rio Grande Valley Games May 19-20 this year.

Rob.
    Rev. Rob, Clan MacMillan, NM, USA
    CCXX, CCXXI - Quidquid necesse est.
    If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Thumperian Principle)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't wish to be contraversial here, but why?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty funny, that is almost exactly what this article from the STM says.

http://www.scottishtartans.org/kirkin.htm

"Ask any Scot or Scottish expatriate about the Kirkin’, and chances are you will be met with a questioning look and an admission of ignorance of this supposedly centuries-old Scottish tradition."

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by California Highlander View Post
    Pretty funny, that is almost exactly what this article from the STM says.

http://www.scottishtartans.org/kirkin.htm

"Ask any Scot or Scottish expatriate about the Kirkin’, and chances are you will be met with a questioning look and an admission of ignorance of this supposedly centuries-old Scottish tradition."
    With good reason. A quick Google establishes that "Kirking of the Tartan" is an American invention, and not a Scottish tradition at all. (I must say it sounds fishy, even pre-google. Why would you feel the need to have a church ceremony for an article of clothing?) Not every Scot would be ignorant of the term. But "kirking" isn't indicative of any sort of tradition, it's simply Scots for "going to church".
    Last edited by LeeAnne; 22nd April 12 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why a Kirking of the Tartans? It's one more way to get folks into church and having a good time while doing so. Just another way to reach out to the parishioners and those who might become parishioners.

Holcombe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the article on the STM site. Lots of good stuff there. Kirkin of the Tartans was a way to raise money and awareness for British war relief efforts in WWII. The first was likely in 1941. A worthy cause, even if the "myth" was made up to market it better.

So as long as no one is trying to make it into a Scottish thing, but merely a Canadian and American expression of solidarity with the people of Scotland, no harm, no foul.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirking the Tartan seems to be an event that is similiar to the "Mexican" Cinco de Mayo celebration. Cinco de Mayo is a HUGE celebration, just about everywhere in the US now, but is virtually unheard of in Mexico, except for the region of Puebla. This post is relatively timely since the Cincp de Mayo celebration is... tomorrow!
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordontaos View Post
    Kirking the Tartan seems to be an event that is similiar to the "Mexican" Cinco de Mayo celebration. Cinco de Mayo is a HUGE celebration, just about everywhere in the US now, but is virtually unheard of in Mexico, except for the region of Puebla. This post is relatively timely since the Cincp de Mayo celebration is... tomorrow!
    Well, as long as we are highjacking this thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote this short article about a year age for the Mists of Moigh, (newsletter of the Clan Mackintosh of North America)

Kirkin O’ the Tartans
    by Ray McHatton
    This past Spring I had the distinct privilege to represent Clan Mackintosh in the Massachusetts St. Andrew’s Society Annual Kirkin O’ the Tartans. This service is held each year near Tartan Day at the St. John’s Episcopal Church in Taunton, Mass.
    Kirk is the Scottish word for Church. Kirkin of the Tartan is a traditional blessing of the tartan by the Clergy. After the disastrous Jacobite defeat at Culloden, tartan became unlawful to wear. The Clan system, based upon its recognizable tartan patterns was dismantled in the wake of Hanoverian troops led by the Duke of Cumberland combing the Highland countryside in search of remaining Jacobite supporters.
    As a means of survival, the Kirkin went underground, so to speak. At service, many folk would carry a piece of the tartan beneath his cloak, and hold it between the fingers at a certain moment when the priest was blessing the flock.
    This concealed act of defiance fell by the wayside with the onset of the Highland clearances. Many thousands of Clansfolk were forced into emigration to the New World as their aristocratic landlords began to favor use of the land for the raising of sheep.
    At the outset of WWII, there was a concern that many Scottish Americans may choose not to sign up in order to fight on behalf of Great Britain. Rev. Peter Marshall, U.S. Senate chaplain revived the Kirkin O’ the Tartan, which was held in Presbyterian churches across the country. He did this in order to re-awaken pride in the Scottish homeland which may have become dim over the generations.
    Today, most every Scottish Highland games and festival features such a ceremony as part of the weekend worship service, if they hold one. I would encourage all conveners to be sure the Mackintosh tartan is present at these services whenever possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast