X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakersfield HG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bakersfield HG

The operative word was HOT. Wow. The forecast said 95, but I'm pretty sure it was over 100 on the field. I got to see all my So. Cal. throwing friends and spent lunch and post-Games beer-time with GGGP. AND I stuck a new PR in sheaf. woohoo.

Braemar Stone ... 27' 4.5" nice! very happy with this. The whole series was good, all three throws 26+
    Open Stone ... 29' 9.5 ...*Wretched* ... forget gliding. I'm going back to KISS for Woodland.
    LWFD ... took me a while to settle down my first turn, 47' 2.5 .. that's acceptable.
    HWFD ...31' 10.5 .. also took me a while to get settled, I fouled the first two throws, but my last one and two of my extras were over 31, so that's good.
    Heavy Hammer ... 64' 9" ... that's fine.
    Light hammer... my three competition throws were awful, mid 70's. After Andrew Wooster gave me some suggestions, I just decided to relax and do what I know how to do for my extras, and pow...81, 83, 84 on my three extra throws. ... 84' 0"
    WOB ... I continue in the EXACT same place I've been for two years with this event. I blow it over 12 like it's nobody's business, but 13 is dicey. I didn't get it this time.
    Sheaf ... PR here. I'm on a serious roll in sheaf. I cleared 25, hit the bar with the middle of the bag twice at 26. 4 more inches and I have 26, and that's getting up into the Big Lads country.
    Caber ...turned one of the 16 foot, 70 pound SAAA pencils 3x: 12:00, 11:30, 10:30

----------------

GGGP had a good day, too. Her marks are up a little bit, she's starting to two-spin in the LWFD (she's FAST!) and she stuck a huge 20% increase in her light hammer. BIG PR for her at 44' 6". She also finished first in what was the defacto womens B class on the field in caber, with a 70 degree pull on a pretty big and cranky caber. All up, GGGP finished 2nd in Womens B, NICE JOB, GGGP!
    Last edited by Alan H; 22nd April 12 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good throws, Alan. And on the hottest day of the year so far.

Your sheaf toss is getting to be a serious one.

GGGP, good on you, too. Speed is good, just make sure you're speeding at the right times in your delivery. 50 feet should be easily within your reach.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan failed to mention he won his class!
    Fun games, the weather was gross, though. Our kilts were melting. We should have got sombreros in lieu of t-shirts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temperature extremes are just part of the whole Highland Games experience. One year at Pleasanton, the temperature down on the track was 114 degrees. Earlier that same year, we threw in the snow at Calaveras Celtic Faire.

Were the T-shirts black? I've never understood why the games shirts are always done in dark colors. In my equipment bag, I carry a cheap pair of scissors so I can cut off the sleeves and collar of my game shirt. Gotta have some fighting room!
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff Alan! Don't envy you the weather though. Spent 10 years working at China Lake so I know that environment. The whole area is one of the closest places on earth that I think resembles hell, in more ways than just the weather. Overachieving there is very impressive!

I've been in the middle east. I prefer it over the Mojave area. It is a perfect mix of heat and humidity that just goes right through you. I used to run at lunch there. And don't get me started on the hell of golf there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o1d_dude View Post
    The temperature extremes are just part of the whole Highland Games experience. One year at Pleasanton, the temperature down on the track was 114 degrees. Earlier that same year, we threw in the snow at Calaveras Celtic Faire.

Were the T-shirts black? I've never understood why the games shirts are always done in dark colors. In my equipment bag, I carry a cheap pair of scissors so I can cut off the sleeves and collar of my game shirt. Gotta have some fighting room!
    Bakersfield was the "battle between the North (CA) and the South (CA)." The shirts were light steel for the "South" and stonewashed blue for the "North". But yes, we all scissored the heck out of our tees. Those nice light colors do, however, emphasize the sweat rings.

BTW- @Alan, who won? Nor Cal or So Cal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlGonePlaid View Post
    Those nice light colors do, however, emphasize the sweat rings.
    We're athletes. By definition we work hard and we sweat. Consider sweat rings as badges of honor.
    Kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o1d_dude View Post
    We're athletes. By definition we work hard and we sweat. Consider sweat rings as badges of honor.
    And the sweat rings part the lunch line like it was the Red Sea. ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGirlGonePlaid View Post
    Bakersfield was the "battle between the North (CA) and the South (CA)." The shirts were light steel for the "South" and stonewashed blue for the "North". But yes, we all scissored the heck out of our tees. Those nice light colors do, however, emphasize the sweat rings.

BTW- @Alan, who won? Nor Cal or So Cal?
    I have no idea!! *lol*

Monterrey Highland Games...in July.

Orange County Highlanders versus the Cardinal Highland Athletic Club Nor Cal/So Cal team championships!

Hypothetical Team OCH

A class .. West Imboden (maybe Brian Austin?)
    B class ..Andrew Wooster
    C class .. ??
    Woman ... The Indomitable Heather
    Master ... Steve Mittleman or maybe Richard Bow or James Fraser

CHAC Team

A class ... Mike Macellari
    B class .. Robert Krieger
    C class .. probably Patrick Courson
    Woman .. the vampire amazon...Bethany Owen
    Master ... Yours Truly

Mike and West are a matchup. Mike will win Stones. West will win Hammers. Mike will win WOB. Weights are a tossup. Caber is a tossup. West will probably win Sheaf, I don't think Mike has ever done 'em!

Andrew and Robert are a matchup. Robert will win stones (38 feet, maybe 39) ... Andrew will win hammers (Andrew 105+, Robert, 95 feet). Robert will win WOB (13-14 feet). Weights will be a tossup. Caber will be a tossup. Sheaf will probably go to Andrew.

C's?? .. don't know, yet.

women ... Heather will probably win most of the events, but Bethany will probably win WOB and could win Braemar stone if it's a really heavy rock.

Masters ... Dead even in everything between Alan and Steve Mittleman. Any event could go either way.

It's gonna be a GREAT competition!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alan last I heard, Rich Bow was from Sacramento (worked at my local hospital) so does that make him an honorary Cardinal?

I'm shooting for the Monterrey Games this year but as a Cal alum, I will join the OCH clan.
    Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast