X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuptial question

Can someone please try to answer the following question for a good friend of mine? I would appreciate it very much.

I would love some help with defining the term "plaiding" as in Shawn Hooper will "plaid" me during our wedding ceremony next week. In 30 words or less how would you explain that ritual/ceremony to those not familiar with it? Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to confess that I have no idea. Is it an American turn of phrase and custom?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th June 12 at 09:16 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Paul Henry is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of it, are you perhaps thinking of "hand fasting"which is sometimes used within a religious marriage ceremony today , but has a very much more ancient pedigree, it involves the hands of the couple being "tied" with a ribbon, cloth or rope when vows to each are given, and when the knots are untied the couple are bound together, perhaps the origin of "tying the knot"
    In some parts of of the world tartan is used , but the actual type of cloth is not so important as the tying together of the couple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Unless that term is being confused with some other wedding tradition like handfasting etc., I'm afraid that "plaiding" basically consists of somebody running up to a person wearing any kind of plaid clothing, pointing at them, and yelling "PLAAAIID" really loud. Just me, but If somebody did that during my wedding, I'd likely 'overreact'
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my mum who was born in Scotland, this is an American tradition and one that my family adheres to. Usually the oldest male of each family present (and I have had the honor on a few occasions) invites the bride and groom to come up to the front of the room during the reception ( we've usually done it just before the first dance). If both have Scots heritage we take a piece or tartan for each family and wrap it around their hands, if not we just use our Buchanan tartan. We make up what we say on the spot but it usually goes the effect of welcoming each into the other's family. The brides on our side almost always wear a Buchanan tartan sash at the reception - not at the marriage ceremony - so she will also "pin the tartan", usually a piece of Buchanan tartan ribbon on the groom and we welcome him into our clan. We don't pretend that this is done in Scotland - as I'm not sure it ever has been. But I do know of other families who make a similar nod to our Scots heritage here in the US. So make it your own and do whatever you feel is appropriate to your family. I will try and post photos later from one of our weddings.

Note: We do not use the term "plaid" to describe this. If anything we call it "pinning the tartan".
    Last edited by ctbuchanan; 28th June 12 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add a postscript
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read about a tradition of pinning of tartan. Where one person is pinned with the others tartan during the ceremony. This would be a symbol of being welcomed into the pinner's clan. At least that's what I've read.

Thanks David for the explaination!
    Last edited by Bluescelt; 28th June 12 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The use of the word plaid, unless it's a Heilander' describing his blanket, usually means USA, but I think this webpage might give a clue. It describes it as "distinctively Scottish – American", so for us over here I guess that means American.
    The rest of the page has touches I have never heard of, while ignoring actual Scottish tradition.
    The tune St Kilda wedding is a very old reel, rarely heard nowadays, the "traditional wedding reel" Richie na Bainnse, I've never heard of. I'd presume they mean Dùsgadh Fir na Bainnse, (The Waking of the Bridegroom), but that's not a reel, it's a fairly obscure piobaireachd from Glen's collection of the late 1800's. I can't help but get the feel that someone is making it up as they go along.......................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    According to my mum who was born in Scotland, this is an American tradition and one that my family adheres to. Usually the oldest male of each family present (and I have had the honor on a few occasions) invites the bride and groom to come up to the front of the room during the reception ( we've usually done it just before the first dance). If both have Scots heritage we take a piece or tartan for each family and wrap it around their hands, if not we just use our Buchanan tartan. We make up what we say on the spot but it usually goes the effect of welcoming each into the other's family. The brides on our side almost always wear a Buchanan tartan sash at the reception - not at the marriage ceremony - so she will also "pin the tartan", usually a piece of Buchanan tartan ribbon on the groom and we welcome him into our clan. We don't pretend that this is done in Scotland - as I'm not sure it ever has been. But I do know of other families who make a similar nod to our Scots heritage here in the US. So make it your own and do whatever you feel is appropriate to your family. I will try and post photos later from one of our weddings.

Note: We do not use the term "plaid" to describe this. If anything we call it "pinning the tartan".
    Although it predates the idea of family tartans, you are describing handfasting, it's a commomlaw marriage tradition that goes back hundreds of years in Scotland and other Celtic cultures. It sort of petered out in the 20th century, but is making a comeback in both traditional and non-traditional wedding ceremonies. I've presided over a few handfastings myself.

That being said, I'm still pretty sure "plaiding" consists of yelling plaid at somebody....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se-Lm...feature=relmfu
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another distinctly local costume, which I have seen used with success, is for the groom to wear his fly plaid during the first part of the ceremony. At some point after the exchange of rings, the groom faces his new bride, un-pins his plaid from his left shoulder, and drapes it over the right shoulder of his bride.

In effect adopting, or accepting her into his family. The fly plaid is now owed by the bride and she wears it for the rest of the ceremony and during the dancing at the reception.

A word of caution, grooms should be careful not to stick their new spouse with the plaid brooch. Getting blood on her wedding dress should be avoided if you hope for any marital bliss at all.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh... so this is where that hand-wrapping of the tartan scrap comes from in Braveheart I'm assuming?
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast