X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White Heather Jig - 25th April 2012

From our last dance club meeting. This is the White Heather Jig.

THE WHITE HEATHER JIG (J4x40)
    4C set - J Cosh 22 SCDs
    1 - 8 - 1s turn RightHand & cast to 2nd place, turn 1½ LeftHand to end between 2s facing opposite sides
    9 -16 - 1s+2s dance Reel of 4 across, 1s pass RightShoulder to face 1st corners
    17-24 - 1s turn corner, partner, corner, partner, to end between 3s facing opposite sides
    25-32 - 1s+3s dance Reel of 4 across, 1s end in middle between 3s & 4s
    33-40 - 1s turn LeftHand, cast to 4th place on own side & turn RightHand

Click on picture for video.

A mixed group, some vastly experienced dancers and others who are only middling. A good example, I think, of things not going 100% right. But the dancers kept on going and ended up where they were supposed to. Notice, also, members helping each other to keep the dance going.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks in the video that when the dancers are turning their parteners they are holding each other by the elbow/forearm. I am curious if that is common practice in your area, assuming that I am seeing the video correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsel View Post
    It looks in the video that when the dancers are turning their parteners they are holding each other by the elbow/forearm. I am curious if that is common practice in your area, assuming that I am seeing the video correctly.
    Hi Donsel,

Oh, yes. There are fast turns and there are slow turns. If it is a fast turn then the elbow grip is used. It allows the partners to pivot round each other without putting stain on the forearm. If you notice, in this case, there are only eight bars to do four turns, so a person has to get a move on.
    There is a half-way house grip, where the partners hold their forearms almost vertical. The problem there is that both partners must be reasonably of the same height otherwise the shorter partner could damage their shoulder.

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I always find the different practices, albeit few, in SCDing throughout the world to be interesting. In my neck of the woods the instructors frown on this style of turning, regardless of speed of the turn. They similarly frown on the "upright" forearm turn. They consider the elbow hold to be quite dangerous to the dancers. So, needless to say, we don't use them. I personally find both uncomfortable and and a hinderance to my phrasing (timeing). But that may be just because of not being used to the methods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure this is a health a safety matter, considering the age of the dancers and the speed and velocity to get round in the turns, the elbow grip is the safest way. I see it too in much more agile and younger dancers. When burling, "belt and braces" is by far the safest way. As long as all dancers know what to expect with their fellow dancer, when fast turns are needed, then each to their own.
    Schiehallion kilted and true