X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Royal Company of Archers

Just finished a paper on the tartans worn by the Royal Company of Archers. I have sent it off the the Archers to see if they are interested in reviving the original sett.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How interesting Peter, I do hope that there is some interest from "above".
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article Peter, would be great to see the "Archers" take up the suggestion of having the tartan revived. Please keep us informed on any progress.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hear-hear!

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent research, Peter! It was an interesting read, thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating! Thank you. It would be lovely to see the original tartan used again.

ith:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I have sent it off the the Archers to see if they are interested in reviving the original sett.
    This implies that there was "an original sett" which seems not to be the case, based on the evidence.

In Old Irish & Highland Dress HF McClintock writes

"I now intend to leave the subject of military tartans... and pass on to a uniform tartan about which little has been said- that of the Royal Company of Archers, now the King's Bodyguard for Scotland.

After considering an "Overture" regarding "proper habite and uniform garb" a pattern of tartan submitted by a merchant called Alexander Murray was accepted and in 1714 the Company paraded in their new uniforms. The History of the Royal Company of Archers (1875) states that this tartan was the Stuart sett whereas there is no mention of "Stuart" or any other sett in the Minutes of the period.

This tartan would appear to have been worn until 1788 when it was discontinued and a green tartan taken into wear.

Preserved in the Archers Hall, Edinburgh, is an original coat and breeches belonging to Oliphant of Gask, who joined the Company in July 1741, and they show that the tartan is not the same as any known Stuart tartan but is indeed a most interesting example of two genuine early hard tartans, the tartan of the two garments being different.

The sett of the coat is fully two feet wide and consists of a great many lines of buff, red, yelow, blue, and and white. Warp and weft vary in arrangement. The tartan of the breeches is of the above colours but the arrangement of these colours is entirely different.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th April 12 at 05:40 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fascinating article, Peter! Would you mind if I share this with two Archers of my ken?

Sandy

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSFMACLJR View Post
    Fascinating article, Peter! Would you mind if I share this with two Archers of my ken?

Sandy
    But of course.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the two surviving coats that I show I have to disagree with McClintock. I haven't seen the Gask one to which he refers the two show have balanced warps and weft.

It's perhaps noteworthy that McClintock refers to the 1788 pattern as a green tartan rather than recognising it as Government/Black Watch. He might have known a thing or two about clothing but that doesn't necessarily make him an expert on tartan. A trip to Archers' Hall, assuming that the coat is still there, should clarify things.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    This implies that there was "an original sett" which seems not to be the case, based on the evidence.

In Old Irish & Highland Dress HF McClintock writes

"I now intend to leave the subject of military tartans... and pass on to a uniform tartan about which little has been said- that of the Royal Company of Archers, now the King's Bodyguard for Scotland.

After considering an "Overture" regarding "proper habite and uniform garb" a pattern of tartan submitted by a merchant called Alexander Murray was accepted and in 1714 the Company paraded in their new uniforms. The History of the Royal Company of Archers (1875) states that this tartan was the Stuart sett whereas there is no mention of "Stuart" or any other sett in the Minutes of the period.

This tartan would appear to have been worn until 1788 when it was discontinued and a green tartan taken into wear.

Preserved in the Archers Hall, Edinburgh, is an original coat and breeches belonging to Oliphant of Gask, who joined the Company in July 1741, and they show that the tartan is not the same as any known Stuart tartan but is indeed a most interesting example of two genuine early hard tartans, the tartan of the two garments being different.

The sett of the coat is fully two feet wide and consists of a great many lines of buff, red, yelow, blue, and and white. Warp and weft vary in arrangement. The tartan of the breeches is of the above colours but the arrangement of these colours is entirely different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast