X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: DIY Great Kilt

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Great Kilt

I decided to make a great kilt this weekend. I have been going over the idea with Brian (Woodsheal) and we think that the fabric works well. It has an internal 2 inch waistband and internal buckle and strap. The outer apron is fastened with a pin. It also has a yellow woven selvage edge.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks almost too good, if that's possible. I don't think my wrapping leaves pleats that look that good. However, I get more "hang down" in the back than you have. Maybe I have wider material.

Overall, that's a very nice great kilt, and the internal belt and strap is a great idea.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I don't know anything about these things. They look very interesting. Looks like you have done it right. As with all your ventures it is admirable. Good going.

Western Washington State or s/v Lady Washington
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Harold Cannon;1089294]I decided to make a great kilt this weekend. I have been going over the idea with Brian (Woodsheal) and we think that the fabric works well. It has an internal 2 inch waistband and internal buckle and strap. The outer apron is fastened with a pin. It also has a yellow woven selvage edge.
    QUOTE]

First of all, good work. Such neat appearance! I have been intriqued by descriptions of internal aids to the great kilt for some time. But the proverbial picture worth a thousand words is always lacking. Could we entice you into a photo of these internal workings?
    Elf

There is no bad weather; only inappropriate clothing.
    -atr: New Zealand proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll say one thing, little fellow...You make the Great kilt look ideally proportioned. My rear pleats tend to be a bit sharper edged...but I pleat over a heavy outer belt.

May be a bit late in the conversation here, but how will you be hanging your sporran?
    Last edited by Mark E.; 10th July 12 at 07:50 PM.
    A pitchfork is a polearm too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done boyo. Well done.

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see here.

The internal just has a buckle and strap hidden the way that Matt Newsome hide his and the outside has just a large pin.

As far as hanging the sporran it would be about 2 to 3 inches below the bundle of fabric usually but it depends on the sporran I wear.