X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Everyday cromach

I've seen a few photos of Xmarkers (et al) with really nice cromachs. Ram's horn, antler, ornate carved wood, etc. Does anyone have or use an everyday cromach? I am not talking about a basic hiking staff, but rather one with a simple shepard's crook.

I have not, nor am I ever likely to herd sheep, I just think it would make a nice accessory while hiking kilted. Is this common at all?

Nevermind, I just found my answer by using the good ol' search function.
    Last edited by Mikilt; 29th April 12 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Question answered
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan H View Post
    Some days you're the bat, some days you're the watermelon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. I've been admiring the cromachs I've seen (most recently, the one Tobus has), but have pretty much written off buying one. I think it'd make a great hiking tool, but don't want to look too affected. I'm also interested in hearing some opinions about this.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    Good question. I've been admiring the cromachs I've seen (most recently, the one Tobus has), but have pretty much written off buying one. I think it'd make a great hiking tool, but don't want to look too affected. I'm also interested in hearing some opinions about this.
    Big ***. (you sure you aren't my long lost twin brother??). I'm toying with the idea of making a horn one (just to see if I can), but to me they seem very out of place and impractical, for MY purposes. While I like a good stick when hiking, again, I'm not sure I see the practicality of a hook. Hooks, by nature, catch on things. And if I'm in town, I don't even like having to carry an umbrella around on a threatening day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided that my white and red mobility cane is perfectly traditional for a curmudgeon stick, regardless of what I'm wearing. They're usually graphite now-a-days, instead of aluminum or bamboo; leave me alone.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked this one up at a vendor's booth at a highland games a few years ago. Believe it was made in England. Very lightweight. All wood, made from one piece.

Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given the cultural implications of a shepherd's crook, I just can't see it being an everyday shape for a tall staff without looking affected. A regular height cane of around 36 inches would be fine, but a tall one around 50 inches has a whole 'nother implication.

That said, it is a very practical shape for all kinds of stuff besides herding sheep. But I would probably not want to risk using a high-dollar cromach for rough use in hiking and whatnot. A properly made one should hold up to hard use, but I would be upset if I damaged it needlessly when I could have used a regular staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was given my cromach for my 21st birthday and have used it almost every day since, so for some 50 odd years. If you have seen any picture of me here, the cromach is usually propping me up! It has been shortened, re-ferruled umpteen times, recently re-shafted, but is a constant and very useful(even without sheep)friend.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of a permanent injury, for me some sort of stick or cane is not an accessory but rather an essential mobility tool. I have seen some beautiful cromachs and market sticks, and contemplated making one of my own, but have not yet done so.
    My "everyday" cane is blue anodized aluminum -- definitely not "traditional" but ultimately utilitarian. I also have a plain-top "twisty" stick (no handle) -- a gift from my wife which belonged to her (Clan MacNaughten) grandfather. It is only slightly less comfortable and useful as a tool than is my metal cane, but oh so much more appropriate to THCD, at least to my self-awareness when dressed so. It may get a buffalo horn nose-in market handle at some point, but for now that project is way down my to-do list.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a thought for you DrummerBoy.

A "twisty" stick with a walnut, from a broken gunstock, knob on the top.

" Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast