X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rkilts vs. Cheaper Utility Kilts.

Money for kilts, in my circumstance, is definitely discretionary spending and for me often requires a few sacrifices of other discretionary spending items. Last year I was fortunate to have saved my nickels and purchased an indigo blue Rkilt. I loved it so much and was so pleased I got an Army green one later in the year.

Now opinions are always subjective, I get that. But a few times I have heard comments about justifying the cost of an Rkilt versus cheaper Utility kilts. Robert Pel posted a nice piece on his blog about the differences between his kilts and other less expensive brands. It makes interesting reading.

http://www.rkilts.com/blog/index.php.../a-comparison/

And no he did not promise me anything to say this, but Robert is a genuinely good guy to work with, and provides excellent service and communication.

PS Besides being very comfortable and providing great swish did I mention I get comments almost anytime I wear mine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea, Seanachie to post the blog. I have an army green Rkilt (purchased it last Fall). It's my go to kilt and it's the one my wife likes the most. And true enough, it generates lots of positive comments. It really is a versatile kilt. What can I say... love it! I can easily imagine going for another Rkilt. And yes, Robert is a delight to work with. I always learn something from our exchanges. Thanks for the post, Seanachie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And... Oh yes, I do believe the Rkilt is WELL worth the extra dollars. It's really well made and will last a long time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very enlightening comparison, thanks for posting.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of an apples to rutabaga comparison. My F250 V10 Superduty vs. my neighbours V6 Dodge Dakota. Not even in the same league let alone ballpark.

Given, I do dream of an rKilt, my wife loves the style, but comparing it against something not realistically near its level does not properly credit the workmanship of the product. It's Mr. Peels choice apparently but it reminds me of those TV adverts showing to wonder thing and a grossly unfit or incomparable counter.
    Last edited by Moski; 2nd May 12 at 07:21 AM.
    "The Highland dress is essentially a 'free' dress, -- that is to say, a man's taste and circumstances must alone be permitted to decide when and where and how he should wear it... I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed." -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moski View Post
    Kind of an apples to rutabaga comparison. My F250 V10 Superduty vs. my neighbours V6 Dodge Dakota. Not even in the same league let alone ballpark.
    The fact that the two kilts being compared are not in the same ballpark is exactly the point! I'd say it is more like comparing organic, heirloom, tenderly cared for, and picked when ripe apples against genetically modified, chemical sprayed, picked when green, but still bruised up apples. They're both apples but are leagues apart in quality.
    Last edited by CMcG; 2nd May 12 at 07:40 AM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there is a perception that all utility style kilts are the near the same. I believe myself, Freedom kilts, and TFK are the only ones that make a contemporary utility styled kilt that has more than 4 yds of material. How is the consumer to know unless we tell them. Yes my comparison is much like an 2:00 AM infomercial and yes it was my choice to compare two ends of the spectrum, but believe me the consumer at a highland games faced with the products in front of him or her, unless they are shown really don't care. It's the same as vendors selling acrylic kilts, the consumer unless they are told or have done their research think it's the same as a wool handmade kilt. Unless you're a vendor it's surprising the number of folk that are in the dark about kilts in general. Forums like this one serve a purpose to help aid a consumer in making a choice that fits their budget.
    Possible comparing a RKilt and Freedom kilt with a TFK would be a logical choice. They are in the same ballpark, well made...but then we are discussing fine points between an Audi, Porsche and Mercedes.....
    I did what I did....and from my experience of dealing with the consumer it is an important discussion