X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around the World in 406 days

On the 19th of March 2011 our Traveling Quaich began its journey to share our love of the kilt with the world. On Tuesday the 1st of May 2012 she arrived back in Victoria after completing her first circumnavigation of the globe.

I would like to thank and compliment all those who have hosted the Quaich for taking such good care of her. It appears that each time she was shipped she was packed and protected well.

Although showing the scratches and nicks of use, the Quaich herself is in remarkably good shape.

Her logbook has survived the journey and is over half full of signatures and photos from the adventures.

There are so many photos that the cover will not close.

I will now begin the process of photographing all the souvenirs that the Quaich has collected from her travels.
    I will also scan all the pages of the logbook so everyone can share in this incredible story.

Please check back here often for photo updates. I have prepared a space here at the kilt shop which will become "The Quaich Museum". Each souvenir and each logbook will have a permanent place of honor.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 2nd May 12 at 01:50 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it arrived home OK with everything it has acquired on its travels.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Quaich will remain here in Victoria through our Highland Games.

This is the surprise I promised. Those who are planning on coming to the Victoria Highland Games will have a chance to share a dram from the Quaich and sign the logbook.

I will then prepare her to continuing to travel. I will have her polished up and re-boxed. A new, fresh logbook will be prepared. This time I will include space in the box for the souvenirs.

As soon as she is ready again, she will begin another circumnavigation. In an Easterly direction this time.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a great pleasure to celebrate her return this month just as we celebrated her departure more than a year ago (actually it's the dram I'm looking forward to, but it'll be nice to see the old girl, too)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Steve, it will be great to see all the comments and souvenirs of the quaich's first round the world trip. Everyone has done a fantastic job thus far (from evidence provided on various threads) and one hopes that many more adventures are ahead.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those wondering where the Quaich will go next.

I have contacted Alan H. and he has gratiously accepted to host the Quaich on the first stop of its Eastward voyage.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We all had great fun with the Quaich when it was in my care and it was quite remarkable to think about where it had been before I got to host it briefly... Thanks again Steve for putting this adventure together.

Slanthe Mhath!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be a great pleasure to celebrate her return this month just as we celebrated her departure more than a year ago
    Yes indeed.
    I attended the Quaich's launch night in Victoria in March 2011 last time I was over on Vancouver Island visiting my family.
    Earlier this year I was fortunate to host the Quaich here in Scotland and I eagerly look forward to meeting the Quaich again at the Victoria Highland Games later this month.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...scratches and nicks..."? That's what they call "patina" on the Antiques Road Show...

Best

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

Cilted Traveler and Minstrel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was indeed great to meet the Quaich on its global travels, especially when it also coincided that Trefor was able to bring it to our folk club. So the whole band got to meet it and have a sup from it (which Trefor supplied some beautiful Penderyn Welsh Whiskey).,

Iechyd Da
    Derek
    A Proud Welsh Cilt Wearer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast