X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb For Best Kilt Pics...

A suggestion for better kilt pics, have the photo taken with the camera held at waist level.

Most folks are used to holding a camera at head or eye level. As a result, the bottom of the kilt at knee level is much lower and results in the kilt appearing longer in the photo. This is especially true for Gentlemen of Substance. Many times a comment is made that the kilt is too long or the wearer should wear it higher. The kilt many be perfectly all right, but it appears too long due to the angle of the camera.

Something to consider, just my 2 cents.
    Santa Wally
    Charter member of Clan Claus Society, Clan Wallace Society
    C.W. Howard Santa School Alumni
    International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas

The downland village of Storrington, West Sussex, United Kingdom (50º 55' 15.42"N 0º 26' 13.44"W)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good point, S.W., and one I have always taken into account when setting up my numerous kilt photos over the years. In fact, my personal photographer, Tripo Self-Timer, was chosen from hundreds of applicants exclusively because he is a little chap (but perfectly formed) and his eye level is absolutely aligned with my waist!

Take care,
    Ham.
    [B][I][U]No. of Kilts[/U][/I][/B][I]:[/I] 102.[I] [B]"[U][B]Title[/B]"[/U][/B][/I]: Lord Hamish Bicknell, Laird of Lochaber / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Scottish Tartans Authority / [B][U][I]Life Member:[/I][/U][/B] The Royal Scottish Country Dance Society / [U][I][B]Member:[/B][/I][/U] The Ardbeg Committee / [I][B][U]My NEW Photo Album[/U]: [/B][/I][COLOR=purple]Sadly, and with great regret, it seems my extensive and comprehensive album may now have been lost forever![/COLOR]/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more. This is the way I always do it, and it just makes for a better overall sense of proportion.

And really, that goes with anything you photograph. You want the camera at mid-height of whatever object you're trying to capture, so that you're pointing directly at its center, with no 'skew' or distortion of the proportions from having to angle the camera down to capture the entire object. For instance, if you were photographing a painting on a wall, you wouldn't hold the camera at the same level as the top of the frame, angled down. You'd hold it level with the centre of the painting. If you tried to angle the camera, you'd end up with a photograph showing a skew in the lines of the painting, and it would be noticeable by the fact that the top of the frame appears wider than the bottom.

The same applies with people. Kilted or not, the best photos when trying to capture their full height will be taken from mid-height (or waist level). And of course, what makes it even more noticeable with kilts is the fact that the apron is in front of the legs/knees, so the higher the camera is, the more it 'hides' the knees and looks plain goofy.

And actually, some of the best photos I've seen of kilts were taken more from ground level. By using the skew factor to advantage, a ground-level photo can make you seem like you 'tower'.
    Last edited by Tobus; 4th May 12 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    And actually, some of the best photos I've seen of kilts were taken more from ground level. By using the skew factor to advantage, a ground-level photo can make you seem like you 'tower'.
    Don't they call those "up-skirt" shots, in certain circles?
    ::ducking, and running for cover:: LOL
    KEN CORMACK
    Clan Buchanan
    U.S. Coast Guard, Retired
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip.
    It is so obvious that I never thought about it..lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also taking it from further away (be it a person taking the pic or a camera on a tripod with a timer) helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixken View Post
    Don't they call those "up-skirt" shots, in certain circles?
    ::ducking, and running for cover:: LOL
    Only when they are taken by 'Mini-Me'.
    ---------------------------------------
    One has no need for a snooze button, when one has a hungry cat.

Tartan Riders, Kilted Oregon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest challenge is trying to outsmart my smart camera even in manual calibrated to a white card the subtle colors try to hide. Best consistent luck so far is standing between the skylight in front and cool white flourescent light behind in my kitchen - take 5 shots a foot apart and view the results on my big screen. Outdoors in indirect sun works well sometimes but not for all colors.
    slàinte mhath, Chuck
    Originally Posted by MeghanWalker,In answer to Goodgirlgoneplaids challenge:
    "My sporran is bigger and hairier than your sporran"
    Pants is only a present tense verb here. I once panted, but it's all cool now.

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dead right. my daughter(4 at time) took a photo of me ,by far the best.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside is always better than inside. Natural light is much better than using a flash which casts odd shadows and ruins the colours/contrast. The very best light is outside when it's cloudy, to avoid shadows and colour wash-out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast