X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kentucky Scottish Weekend has come and gone (Saturday only this year), and The Boy and I had a great time, especially meeting Mike, Mark, Kyle and the ladies.

Mike (Xmarks tartan), Mark (? MacTavish?), Jeff (Brown Douglas) and Kyle (Weathered MacPherson), with Carter (maroon AltKilt) down front.

A couple of the pipe bands on their demo parade performances.

Carter had a blast eating muffins, cotton candy, ice cream, drinking lemonade, watching the shelties herd some ducks, riding the little train, looking at the car collection, playing at the playground, but mostly watching the athletes in kilts tossing the sheaf (16 pound hay sack flung with a pitchfork over a 25 foot high crossbar). I could not drag him away from the athletics, he was having so much fun cheering for all the guys.

Did see some interesting characters but did not photo----a couple guys in full kilt with hose and spats and horsehair sporrans worn with black t-shirts and a ball cap on one and a red bandana on the other; an old gent in tartan kilt, similar tartan smaller set long sleeve shirt, and similar tartan different sett tam; a lot more Glengarrys worn by the run of the mill attendees than Balmorals; a lot of white hose, some worn with running shoes, too numerous to count ghillie shirts in a rainbow of colors, and quite a few kilts worn below the knee, sometimes a couple inches below. Hey, this is Kentucky, not St Andrews.

We had a great father-son day at the games and gathering and met and talked with some fun folks. Hope to see more of you there next year.

jeff
    Last edited by ForresterModern; 14th May 12 at 04:58 AM. Reason: duplicate photo revised

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a good time at the Kentucky Scottish Weekend in Carrollton, KY. I put my Mini Cooper Coupe in the car show. I managed to attract the attention of a group of ladies from the Hills of Kentucky Cloggers. Also ran into fellow X-Mark'ers Mark, Kyle, Jeff, and his son Carter.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff & Mike - Thanks for posting the photos. Carol and I had a great time at KSW. We enjoyed having a chance to finally get to spend some time talking with Mike, getting to meet and talk with Jeff & Carter, and visit with Kyle and Stephanie. This was our first Highland games of the season for us. So, as one of the Clan representatives, it was nice to meet with the other Clan representatives to renew old acquaintances and meet new friends. BTW, in the above photos, I am wearing the Stephenson Modern tartan. There are getting to be quite a few X-Markers in our area, and Carol & I are looking forward to more opportunities to get together. In fact, Friday night the superb Scottish band, North Sea Gas, is playing at Molly Malones in Covington, KY (across the river from Cincinnati). Carol and I will be there . Let us know if any of the X-Markers want to join us.
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to just miss meeting Jeff again - I came across Mike and Kyle (and his lovely wife) by the car show in the early afternoon. (I was a late arrival, having worked until 1 AM the night/morning before.)

Jeff's third and fourth pics are of the Louisville Pipe Band (I'm not playing with them in that set. I played in the last performance of the day.)
    John

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry we missed you John, although we were looking for you. We were there until 4 pm but still didn't see you. probably looking for you in the wrong places.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jeff, no worries.

I was hanging out over by the band tents (past the Clans pavilion towards the main park entrance) from about 2 PM on. The last LPB performance was about 3:15 in front of the stone shelter (on top of the hill above the river), and then I wandered the outside edge of the event back over to the band tents and left from there about 4:15. Never made it over to the athletic field.

Maybe you guys can make it down to Glasgow in a couple of weeks (May 31 - June 3). I'll be down there on Saturday June 2 in the P&D area - in the trees along the lane between the 'upper' & 'lower' fields - helping to run the events and piping in the band contest starting around 2 PM.
    John

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a super picture of "the five", whilst I know(through HUGE exposure on this website! ) some of the faces there, it is really nice, at last, to put names to faces for the others.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th May 12 at 02:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did joke amongst ourselves that it might be fun to get together for a photo in which we were all wearing white hose., flat caps, etc.
    Mark Stephenson
    Region 5 Commissioner (OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, MN, IA, KY), Clan MacTavish USA
    Cincinnati, OH
    [I]Be alert - the world needs more lerts[/I]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stephenson View Post
    We did joke amongst ourselves that it might be fun to get together for a photo in which we were all wearing white hose., flat caps, etc.
    I know many on the forum would have loved that, Mark!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Mark, Mike, Jeff (and Jeff's smart looking son, Carter), and John:

It was a sincere pleasure to have spent a wee bit of time with all of you on Saturday, what lovely weather we had! It is always exciting meeting fellow "X-markers" for the first time and talking about all things kilt-related. Stephanie and I had a splendid time visiting with all of you, and later we thought, there is simply never enough time to discuss everything that you want to discuss, so we both feel very excited about our next meeting, wherever and whenever that may be. Stephanie and I wanted to spend more time with each one of you, but we were sort of "pulled" in different directions, as this typically happens to us at these type of events! We ended up meeting a lovely couple from England (just north of London) and spent a long time talking with them about all sorts of topics - luckily, we were nearby the area where all of the pipe bands would march to and perform for the spectators, so we had a very nice time watching and listening to the piping and drumming, whilst having a nice chat with our new friends from Britain.

It can be very easy to get carried away in a lively discussion with others, completely forgetting about the time and that fact that there are also other people in which you'd also like to speak with (particularly Mark and Jeff - we didn't get the chance to spend adequate time with the two of you!)! Oh well, I am quite confident that we will all meet up again soon, and shall pick up right where we left off. Again, it was a real pleasure and honour being with you gentlemen, and we look forward to seeing you all again very soon!

Best wishes,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 14th May 12 at 07:11 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast