X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two new galleries on the museum page

The Scottish Tartans Museum has been privileged for the past several years to have on loan some very fine artifacts, two of which are being returned this week to Scotland. Taking the items off display in preparation for their return, I took the opportunity to take some detailed photographs which were not possible while the items were being exhibited.

I have therefore been able to add two new galleries to our museum web site, featuring these artifacts, for those of you who were not able to come to the museum and enjoy them in person.

The first is of an early box pleated kilt, c. 1800, in the MacDuff tartan. Here is the link:
    http://scottishtartans.org/macduff_kilt.htm

Some teaser photos:

The second item is also in the MacDuff tartan. It is a plaid, c. 1850. Here is the gallery page:
    http://scottishtartans.org/macduff_plaid.htm

And some teasers:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt,
    Beautiful photos. You sure are handy with the camera. I'm sure it's with some sadness that you say good bye to some very well-appreciated items. Thank you for sharing the images with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... Sure looks like the centuries have been kind to that wool!
    Thanks for sharing - there's a lot of interesting things to see here.
    I've only seen pictures of a couple of kilts pleated to "whatever", but there's something very charming about them. Or maybe that's just the antiquity talking.
    Either way, that might solve the "what to pleat to" riddle, the next time I really can't decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As one who usually wears MacDuff, I have to say -- WOW. Wonderful stuff.

I never would have thought of a box-pleated MacDuff, but now I'm adding one to my "once the diet is finished" plans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is very interesting. Suspenders! I wondered about whether they were used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great photos, glad to see you add your copyright info!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested in the technicalities note that the kilt width is uncut i.e. the full width of the cloth was used which was the common practice at that period. It is also unlined. A different shade of green was used in the warp and weft meaning that insufficient was dyed (perhaps some odd yarn used) in the first place. Finally, the use of a true scarlet red suggests that it was professionally dyed. Possibly an example of Wilsons' coarse cloth but equally it could have been rurally woven with yarn sent away for dyeing.

The dating of the plaid is suspect and based on the weave and offset pattern I would be happier with a c1780-1830 time frame. Notice how neither joined edge is actually a pivot. Interesting! I will have to have a look at it next time I'm home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another interesting point on this kilt is that there seems to be no taper in the fell... No wonder they wanted suspender buttons.