X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole 'Mac' being Scottish and 'Mc' being Irish is pure rubbish. The prefix of 'Mac' or 'Mc' and how it is spelled comes directly from family preference and basically how the surname was always spelled within a particular family. I know many Macphersons that spell their surname in different ways, yet we are all derived from the same progenitor of the clan.

I'm a McIntosh and have seen many a spelling....Mac/Mc/ MacK

I always wondered about the spelling and if there was a reason behind it.
    By the by, my granddad was from Nairn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering that also about the MacGregors, Since the proscription didn't end till 1774.
    Last edited by WhyteKobra; 10th May 12 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the Mac or Mc bit just means "Son of" and in many cases when the person left the clan to emigrate, dropped the Mac/Mc off their name. So a MacLaren ended up in Ulster, Dropped the Mac then a later son/grandson went to the USA or Canada etc. and with differing accents and misspellings, ended up Lowery, Louren, Lowe and then because the name is now anglesizes the Son gets put back on the end so you end up with Lawson and about 20 other variations and this applies to most clan names.

Chris.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    And of course, you will not see the Macphersons, lead by Cluny, on the aforementioned list, because they did not take part in Culloden - the arrived too late after being involved in a bit of skirmish in Atholl. However, the Macphersons fought gallantly and with much pride and honour at Falkirk Muir, Prestonpans, Derby, and other skirmishes throughout the Jacobite campaign of 1745-46.

The present Chief of the Clan Macpherson, Sir William Alan Macpherson of Cluny and Blairgowrie, TD, is a direct descendent of Andrew Macpherson of Cluny, first cousin to (Chief) Colonel Ewan Macpherson of Cluny. Andrew was killed at Falkirk Muir.

Cheers,
    So true Kyle , a very bold and honorable clan indeed !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
    My 5th great grandfather, Angus MacTavish, fought in this regiment and was killed at Culloden. His widow and children were transported from Aberdeen to Savannah, Georgia in 1746, where his son served a seven-year indenture.
    Although the MacTavish name is not mentioned in the OP-cited list, there is now a memorial stone at Culloden honoring the MacTavishes who died there.

I also find it interesting that some of the clans are conspicuously missing from the list, including the Campbells, some of whom fought on the English side.
    I agree DrummerBoy , I noticed some missing clan names as well . I have read few things on the Battle of Culloden ( not an expert by any stretch of the imagination ) and I found this " roll call " list of the Jacobite army at Culloden on Wikkipedia . I thought it was kind of interesting and thought I would just share it , however , it is Wikki and their info is not always totally thorough .

Aside from that , a salute to the clan MacTavish and your family's sacrifice at Culloden .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisupyonder View Post
    I believe the Mac or Mc bit just means "Son of" and in many cases when the person left the clan to emigrate, dropped the Mac/Mc off their name. So a MacLaren ended up in Ulster, Dropped the Mac then a later son/grandson went to the USA or Canada etc. and with differing accents and misspellings, ended up Lowery, Louren, Lowe and then because the name is now anglesizes the Son gets put back on the end so you end up with Lawson and about 20 other variations and this applies to most clan names.

Chris.
    Quite right, from the Gaelic, Mhic.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duncan Forbes in a letter to his friend Sir Andrew Mitchell, some short time after the rebels departed Edinburgh on their march into England:

But the Rebell's successes at Edinburgh and Preston Pans soon changed the scene. All Jacobites, how prudent soever, became made, all doubtful people became Jacobites, and all bankrupts became heroes, and talked nothing but hereditary rights and victory; and what was more grievous to men of gallantry, and if you will believe me, much more mischevous to the public, all the fine ladies, if you will except one or two, became passionately fond of the young adventurer, and used all their arts and industry for him in the most intemperate manner. Under these circumstances I found myself almost alone, without troop, without arms, wihout money or credt; provided with no means to prevent extreme folly. Had arms and money come when they were first called for, before these unexpected successesd blew up folly to madness, I could have answered it with my head. That no man from the north should have joined the original flock of rebels that passed the Forth; and even as it has happened, it is no small consolation to me, that, except Macpherson of Clunie, whose force does not exceed 300, none from the north have reached them in time to march alongst with them southways from Edinburgh, that no more than 200 of the clan Chattan have marched, who had got, as last Saturday, no further than Perth, and that notwithstanding the restless endeavours of the Earl of Cromartie, the Master of Lovant and others, no more than 150 or 100 of the Mackenzies have debauched, and that even those have not as yet passed the Corryaric; no more than the Frasers, who to the number of 5 or 600 have flocked to arms, and who may possibly think better, if the weather permit the force, which we hourly expect from the Isle of Sky [the Macleods], to join us quickly before they leave the country exposed." (The Culloden Papers, p250)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post

"That no man from the north should have joined the original flock of rebels that passed the Forth; and even as it has happened, it is no small consolation to me, that, except Macpherson of Clunie, whose force does not exceed 300, none from the north have reached them in time to march alongst with them southways from Edinburgh, that no more than 200 of the clan Chattan have marched, who had got, as last Saturday, no further than Perth..." (The Culloden Papers, p250)
    Cluny of the '45 was quite a remarkable man to say the least. I have studied Colonel Ewan Macpherson of Cluny as much as I could through the years (there's only so much information available) and he was every bit the charismatic, honourable Highland Chief, an excellent wartime Colonel with a high degree of integrity, and a good leader of men. Besides Robert Louis Stevenson's, Kidnapped, there really isn't much fictional, romanticised follies surrounding this incredible man.

Thanks for sharing Rex,

Na bean don Chat...
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 11th May 12 at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
    I also find it interesting that some of the clans are conspicuously missing from the list, including the Campbells, some of whom fought on the English side.
    I believe you'll find the Campbells are hardly missing; they are listed as "Argile & Broadalbin - - - - 4000"
    Kenneth Mansfield
    NON OBLIVISCAR
    My tartan quilt: Austin, Campbell, Hamilton, MacBean, MacFarlane, MacLean, MacRae, Robertson, Sinclair (and counting)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the Maxwell's fighting at Culloden and on which side?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast