X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Blooms of Bon Accord

Hello All,

Well, a lot has happened in the last couple of weeks. As most members (well the important ones), were going to be away, our AGM was moved forward to last week. The committee had all given sterling service (in one case 15 years), so apart from the treasurer, they all stood down. Much discussion, the upshot of which is that I have been voted on to the committee, with the official title of Dogsbody. I am reliably informed that this the the most important position, because the dogsbody does all the work.

Well, it's still fun, so I suppose I don't mind.

The next thing - We (that's the Bury Reel Club) have an on-line presence. That is to say we have a Blog.

http://buryreelclub.blogspot.co.uk/

It really isn't very good, but I wanted something to keep members informed during the summer off-season. It is run by Blogger and is such hard work. Changing the title font took over half an hour, so over the summer I will be looking for something better. If anyone has ideas for a free Blog that is a bit more user-friendly - I am all ears.

So, How about some dancing? This is the dancing forum after all!

This dance is called Blooms of Bon Accord (Bon Accord being the motto of the city of Aberdeen and is often used as a shorthand name for Aberdeen itself).

BLOOMS OF BON ACCORD (R4x32) 4C set 3s & 4s on opp sides J Drewry Deeside Bk 2
    1- 8 All set & 1s+2s also 3s+4s dance Right Hand across once round, 1s & 4s cast in 1 place to 2 1 (4) (3)
    9-12 1s & 4s cross Right Hand & cast to ends of set to meet partners in prom hold & dance into centre of dance
    13-16 1s+4s dance round passing Right Shoulder & to end 1s in the middle on Men’s side facing up & 4s in the middle on Ladies' side facing down
    17-24 All (1s & 4s in prom hold) dance reels of 3 on sides
    25-28 4s+1s dance Right Hand across in centre once round to end 4s facing up & 1s facing down
    29-32 4s & 1s lead out of ends crossing & cast in 1 place to end 2 4 (1) (3)

Click to see video:

Any laughing you can hear is the sett on the right hand side getting it wrong two or three times!

Regards

Chas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this dance and in fact all the Bon Accord dances. I shall be dancing all this next week and will be doing some of these.

Question Chas in respect of the name. Your club, is it a Scottish Country dance club or a Reelers club who do things somewhat dangerously for SCD if they are both aware. eg in Reel of the 51st. ???
    Schiehallion kilted and true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schiehallion View Post
    I love this dance and in fact all the Bon Accord dances. I shall be dancing all this next week and will be doing some of these.

Question Chas in respect of the name. Your club, is it a Scottish Country dance club or a Reelers club who do things somewhat dangerously for SCD if they are both aware. eg in Reel of the 51st. ???
    Hi Barry,

Quite definitely Scottish Country Dancing. The name and the club comes from a time when the RSCDS was being very protective about its name and reputation. The RSCDS wanted to keep everything called SCD to itself (and, of course, charge an affiliation fee). It started on the other side of the pond where a club which had some RSCDS members and called itself "an RSCDS Club". The RSCDS, of course, took offence as they hadn't paid a fee. There was much tutting and tapping of toes and writing of letters with much underlining and it all got out of hand.

So, round the world, clubs like mine called themselves something like, but not quite Scottish Country Dancing.

Regards

Chas