X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Status "New Thread"

Is there a method for changing quickly the status of a thread from "new thread" to "read"?

I always click onto "What's new" or "new posts" but, as I'm not in the USA, I'd like to be able to click on a button and say that the thread "Who's going to these games, can we meet up" thread is read and stop it coming up on my list of new threads. Thanks.
    Last edited by BCAC; 16th May 12 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is what you're after, but under "Thread Tools" there's an "Ignore This Thread" option.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never want to see a post from an entire sub-forum (for example, Kilt Nights/USA), you can also open that forum and "ignore" it using the Forum Tools menu.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if I wasn't clear but it's not an ignore button I'm looking for but a method of changing a posts status for "unread" to "read" so it will no longer show in my list of new posts. For use with posts in my new post list that I don’t want to read now but will later. For the games posts I would like to be able to read the first post to find out about the games but to be able to ignore the same post every day until after the event and then be able to read the after event posts to see who went and look at any eventual photos. Like in my message box where I can click a box to say I have read a mail even if I have never opened it.
    Last edited by BCAC; 16th May 12 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you click on the top bar's "Forum Actions", you have the "Mark Forums Read" option. Just make sure you've read all the ones you want first, because it will mark every post on the site as read.
    Death before Dishonor -- Nothing before Coffee

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAC View Post
    ... changing a posts status for "unread" to "read" so it will no longer show in my list of new posts. For use with posts in my new post list that I don’t want to read now but will later. For the games posts I would like to be able to read the first post to find out about the games but to be able to ignore the same post every day until after the event and then be able to read the after event posts to see who went and look at any eventual photos. Like in my message box where I can click a box to say I have read a mail even if I have never opened it.
    By clicking into the thread, you will mark it as read, but there is no way to mark the new posts in that thread as read when they come in later. The ignore thread would work, and then when you are ready to see the pictures from that thread, after the event has passed, just un-ignore it from your user settings.

And the ignore feature does not remove the threads from the forum they are in, just from new posts.
    The kilt concealed a blaster strapped to his thigh. Lazarus Long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks. It seems that what I need just doesn't exist. The problem with the temporary ignore is that I would surely forget to "un-ignore" it when the time came.