X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Murray, 11th Duke of Atholl

As I've mentioned in a couple of other posts, this year marks the 250th anniversary of the town of Athol, Massachusetts. The town was named by John Murray, one of the original property owners and a native of Blair Atholl in Scotland.

The town has had a history of amity with its sister town in Scotland, and there have been visits by the Dukes and the Atholl Highlanders over the years. I was sad to read this on the Athol 250th Facebook page today:

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that His Grace John Murray, the 11th Duke of Atholl passed away yesterday. I received official word this morning from his son, Bruce Murray, 12th Duke of Atholl. Our thoughts and prayers go to Duke John's beloved wife, family & friends. Duke John was a fine man. I will remember him as a very kind and gentle man. May he rest in peace.
    His Grace the 12th Duke will be visiting Massachusetts with some of the Highlanders in just a couple of weeks - there will be a mini tattoo and official reception on June 2 (http://athol250.org/events/highlande...rday-june-2nd/) - I believe a memorial observance for John Murray is now also being planned.
    Last edited by usonian; 16th May 12 at 01:28 PM. Reason: (typo fix)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is sad news. I have met the late duke several times and always enjoyed our conversations.