X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Might Be A Daft Question...

...especially as I'm asking a forum of mostly guys!

But as a woman trying to break into what is a hugely male-dominated sport over here in the UK, am I dicing with my credibility as a female athlete by wearing a short kilt instead of the knee-length original? If you haven't yet seen the pics, go to my blog at www.throwingmyweightsaround.com and you will see the two different kilts - the first, knee-length one, in a post titled 'I Kilt It!' dated April 17th, and the newer, shorter one in a post titled 'Supergirl and the Killer Flamingos!', dated May 10th.

I ask because a (female!) friend mentioned it with a dubious look, and said something along the lines of 'it's all very well you wearing your little kilt and big boots and doing the flirty girl thing for PR, but you want to be taken seriously as an athlete, don't you?'

I hadn't actually thought of the sight of a 47-year-old Troll Princess with decently-clad legs as being in the 'flirty-girl' class, but it kind of knocked my confidence a bit.

What say the Great Rabble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say follow Shannon Hartnett as an example

Mickey is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't speak for the athletics side, and don't know how things are in the UK, but it has generally been my experience that when girls get snide with other girls on their clothing, it's because of envy.

I think you look great in either one, and when I watch women in any sporting event, I'm watching the sporting event. Really don't care what they are wearing. If you are comfortable in the short one, and if it makes it a bit more fun for you, I'm certainly not going to bag on you for it. If you can throw a telephone pole across a field, I'm gonna take you seriously even if you are wearing Hello Kitty pajamas.

Be yourself and have fun. Forget the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mickey said it best
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Can't speak for the athletics side, and don't know how things are in the UK, but it has generally been my experience that when girls get snide with other girls on their clothing, it's because of envy.

If your going for looks alone, photo op's and such i think the long one shows off your form better, but that is all about the waist line and has nothing to do with the hem line. when you are competing wear whatever is the most comfortable and allows you the best mobility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted guys wife View Post
    I think Mickey said it best

If your going for looks alone, photo op's and such i think the long one shows off your form better, but that is all about the waist line and has nothing to do with the hem line. when you are competing wear whatever is the most comfortable and allows you the best mobility
    Yes, I think waistline-wise, you're definitely right about the longer kilt being a tad more flattering!

I'll probably test out the longer kilt in practice today, just in case I ever need to wear it, but I'll probably end up going for the sporty-mini-kilt for competition.

And, LitTrog... LMAO.... yes, that is a truly awesome pic of Adriane's physique - fantastic shot of how kilt pleats swirl in the heat of athletical battle! I covet arm and back muscles like Adriane's. Amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinetikat View Post
    I'll probably test out the longer kilt in practice today, just in case I ever need to wear it, but I'll probably end up going for the sporty-mini-kilt for competition.
    The mini-kilt seems to be what most of the ladies choose for competition.
    Last edited by o1d_dude; 25th May 12 at 10:36 AM.
    Kit

'As a trainer my objective is not make you a version of me. My objective is to make you better than me.' - Paul Sharp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience in UK events. I know that here you would be seen as quite ordinary. Your competition kilt is actually not too short. I have seen shorter. I think the original one would be long enough to interfere with the freedom of movement of your legs. In my opinion you are fine as you are. Steady on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wot Mickey said.

Frankly, throw in whatever is allowed, and if you can add your own flair to it (i.e. mini-kilted skirt, tights, etc...) the better.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue I wouldnt worry about it. Throw in what you feel most comfortable wearing that way you will be more concerned about the athletics rather than how you look. Personally I am looking forward to seeing you compete at Harpenden and would it matter to me if your kilt was 2 inches shorter .........er no!

GGGP has much more experience in etiquette for female games competitors it might be worth PMing her for advice.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are wearing leggings underneath so I do not see what issue there would be with wearing the shorter kilt for athletics. I can see how the longer one rides a bit low on the knee and could be a nuisance if not obstruction to free movement needed. Throw away!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast