X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats interesting but where was he?
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Michigan we have Hell, Paradise, and Climax. Not necessarily in that order. It's funny that Paradise is at the top of the State, Hell is at the bottom, and Climax is... we'll leave it at that.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing dull or boring about the name of what at least used to be a small village near here called Knockemstiff. A few years ago a local author cashed in on the name as the title for his book of short stories about life in Northern Appalachia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Thats interesting but where was he?
    He was in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Click on the LINK Intercourse in SlackerDrummer's post #10 for more info on Intercourse, PA.
    Last edited by Santa Wally; 7th June 12 at 06:44 PM.
    Santa Wally
    Charter member of Clan Claus Society, Clan Wallace Society
    C.W. Howard Santa School Alumni
    International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love funny place names. But I think my all time favourite has got to be: Dildo, Newfoundland.

There's also an Austrian town that I shall not name, other than saying that the first letter is "F" and the last letter is "g"...

Hilarious! (But not for city hall, who inevitably spend thousands each year replacing stolen road signs)...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At one of the Prison Service locations where I worked some of us devised a cast of characters for a radio serial based on the names of local locations.

I wish I could remember all of them but I remember that we cast Nempnett Thrubwell as the village idiot.
    [B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"]Reverend Earl Trefor the Sublunary of Kesslington under Ox, Venerable Lord Trefor the Unhyphenated of Much Bottom, Sir Trefor the Corpulent of Leighton in the Bucket, Viscount Mcclef the Portable of Kirkby Overblow.

Cymru, Yr Alban, Iwerddon, Cernyw, Ynys Manau a Lydaw am byth! Yng Nghiltiau Ynghyd!
    (Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Cornwall, Isle of Man and Brittany forever - united in the Kilts!)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McClef View Post
    The late King George V, when he heard a criticism of his "dull and alien court" staunchly responded:

"I may be dull but I'm damned if I am an alien!"

There are some delightfully named places around the globe, not all of which can be decently named here.
    You must be thinking of that town in Austria. Apparently, the story about voting to change the name of the town to Fugging was a spoof. They will continue to spell it with ck.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Callaghan View Post
    You must be thinking of that town in Austria. Apparently, the story about voting to change the name of the town to Fugging was a spoof. They will continue to spell it with ck.
    Quite right... And when one young, enterprising villager tried to capitalize by selling merchandise, he had to shut down shop because the other locals were throwing stuff at him walking down the street & stuff... No sense of humour (or sense of business for that matter)... Because I tell ya. Rather than getting all uppity about people stealing the sign putting up CCTV cameras to stop people from taking pix and vids in front of the sign... I'd start selling replicas of the sign. €100 or something similar. Want a photo of you & your s/o doing it under the sign? Sure! It'll cost ya! (That, and for decency sake I'd set up a more "private" location somewhere nearby like a studio, made to look like the actual scene)...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to work in a little town just outside of Maybe, CA. on Somewhere road.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Portgower just down the A9 road from here. Always sounds a bit Welsh to me.

http://www.helmsdale.org/portgower.html

The countryside around even looks Welsh rather than the north east of Scotland.

Chris.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast