X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. A. C. Newsome View Post
    Not necessarily. The kilt in Kilted Cole's pic looks like it might have about 6 or 7 yards in it. What I don't do is any kind of 8 yard kilt.
    That's intriguing. Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but why is that? Is 8 yards too far afield of the historical aspect you outline on your site? Also, (and I do not wish to reopen another can of worms) the pleating looks different. Is that just a function of the higher yardage?
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    That's intriguing. Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but why is that? Is 8 yards too far afield of the historical aspect you outline on your site? Also, (and I do not wish to reopen another can of worms) the pleating looks different. Is that just a function of the higher yardage?
    When I started making kilts now over 8 years ago I was only interested in making four yard box pleated kilts, because at that time they were even harder to come by than they are now! Originally my intent was just to be able to make kilts for myself and my friends. However, when I decided to do it as a business I made the decision not to make the typical 8 yard knife pleated kilt style, as I had no intention of competing with all the fine kilt makers who already do such a good job making this. I wanted to offer something different.

Eventually I branched out and began offering Kingussie style pleating, and even knife pleated kilts made from lower yardages. But I try to keep what I offer in line with older nineteenth century styles; again, because there are so many other wonderful kiltmakers offering more contemporary styles of kilt and I have no desire to compete with them. This is my little niche and it keeps me busy enough, I feel no need to branch out! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first time I disagree with Matt on anything kilt.
    I bought a Miltary (British Army) kilt in a size I cannot wear just to settle in my own mind how a MBP kilt is put togeather.
    It is a Reverse Knife Pleat that has the edges folded over and sewn down and is ALWAYS showing the stripe!
    "Box pleat" IS A MISNOMER! 6 to 8 yards of tartan goes into this kilt.
    I also have a 4 yard BOX pleat that I made, They ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!
    My 3rd kilt is a knife pleat PV in "Pride of Scotland" Tartan and I can see the similarities.
    Sorry Matt.
    Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks. From the note books of Lazurus Long aka: Woodrow Wilson Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a quote from John Hart at Keltoi's site:

The Military Box-Pleated Kilt The term 'box-pleated' is really a misnomer here, as this is actually a knife-pleated kilt with the facing folded back. This intricate and rarely seen style is worn by some military regiments and not offered by many kilt makers. Like the Knife-Pleated Deluxe, it uses seven or more yards of fabric and has a large number of pleats (19-25). Military box-pleated kilts are pleated to the stripe.

http://www.gaelicclothing.com/boxple...ltmilitary.htm
    Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks. From the note books of Lazurus Long aka: Woodrow Wilson Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe - that's the most accurate description of what a military box pleat really is - and now I understand why my kiltmaker had to return to Keith Kilt School after graduation to learn how to properly sew up a military box pleat kilt by taking an extended course. She would be one of the few kiltmakers trained to do this work...and she does charge extra for all the extra craftsmanship involved.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 12th August 12 at 06:03 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been studying this because I plan to make one of US Army tartan. So, I was confused at first, but not after studying the one I paid L.90 for plus L.35 shipping. If I make it right it'll be worth it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working with my kiltmaker to see if military box pleats would work well for the new Dress Blue Marine tartan...or something else. Trust her judgement - she's from a Marine family and sews a LOT of Leatherneck tartan kilts. We shall see.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Working with my kiltmaker to see if military box pleats would work well for the new Dress Blue Marine tartan...or something else. Trust her judgement - she's from a Marine family and sews a LOT of Leatherneck tartan kilts. We shall see.
    That sounds good to me. My father was a Marine, mom was in the Navy, and I in the Army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe I View Post
    For the first time I disagree with Matt on anything kilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe I View Post
    This is a quote from John Hart at Keltoi's site:
    You say puh tay toe ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    You say puh tay toe ...
    I don't get it! What do you mean?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast