X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few other musings on the subject:

When making MBPs, you can't go much smaller than 7/8" for pleat facings when using 16 oz. or heavier cloth. The pleats just won't lay flat properly. Bearing in mind the size of the average Jock (or Johnny Canuck), most MBPs tend to have 21-23 pleats. I have seen some made with 1/2" facings and they don't look so great. You would probably spend more time pressing the kilt than wearing it! You CAN get away with facings this small if you use 13 oz. cloth however.

I really only refer to them as Military Box-Pleated Kilts for the sake of this forum and those few other kilties who are familiar with the more traditional 4-yard box-pleated kilts. I also use it on my website for the same reason. My Gram (who apprenticed at William Anderson & Son Ltd. in 1937) just refers to them as 'Box-Pleated Kilts', as do many other Scottish kiltmakers.

As for any special properties the style imparts? Whether intentional or not, all that stitching through multiple layers creates a fairly strong fell region with little to no stretch. This was probably handy for soldiers or cadets who were pretty hard on their kilts. The typical hair canvas interfacing is still used, but the stitching gives a bit of added strength.
    Last edited by slohairt; 18th August 12 at 09:03 AM.
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John--On average, how many MBPs would you say you build? Are the majority for civilian or military purposes?
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    John--On average, how many MBPs would you say you build? Are the majority for civilian or military purposes?
    It averages out to about one per month. The majority for civvie purposes. (That I know of at any rate.) I've repaired quite a few MBPs (made by other kiltmakers) over the years as well.
    [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]John Hart[/COLOR]
    Owner/Kiltmaker - Keltoi

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516