X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom crest and feather on bonnet.

Here you will see my crest by David Dittmer and the feathers that I ordered from Real Legal Feathers, on my DIY red bonnet.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you don't mind me saying Harold, that the feather will be far more stable if you push the feather down so that an inch to inch and a half sticks out below the badge. The problem you will have, if you do that, it(the bottom) will stick out over your forehead below the brow band. Rather than your present 12/6 o clock position try a 1/7 o clock position it will give a slightly more jaunty look and the bottom bit will not then stick out over the brow band.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Harold Cannon is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Jock! I have to unstitch the bottom of the cockade but that is a grand idea!!!!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to post 541 in the "too traditional" thread look at the first picture in the post for what I mean. You will note that the feather point is also tucked into the brow band too,for extra stability.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you are talking about and that is very nice.

I have a question though I know I have read that red bonnets were in fashion in Scotland at one point but what was the time frame? I can't seem to find that and thought maybe you would have a source for an answer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very nice all togeather , Great job . I think it is awesome you get to wear a feather .
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Cannon View Post
    I see what you are talking about and that is very nice.

I have a question though I know I have read that red bonnets were in fashion in Scotland at one point but what was the time frame? I can't seem to find that and thought maybe you would have a source for an answer.
    I stand to be corrected here Harold, but as far as I am aware red bonnets have never been in fashion in Scotland. However I can say with some certainty that definitely not in the last seven decades anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jock I guess the search continues! LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harold, my feathers slip in to a "holder", two small plastic tubes joined together, that fits behind the cockade and is held in place by a safety pin inside the bonnet. As Jock has suggested, the feather needs to be well down below the top of the cockade; on my bonnet the end of the feathers are about 1/4 inch above the headband and everything stays pretty much in place. (Nice job on the crest, btw. Looks quite smart.)
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 14th June 12 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped wearing a real feather and went to using a metal feather behind the badge. I found that the real feather was always getting knocked around and more a hassle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast