X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my Leatherneck tartan all the time. I like the colors, even though I agree they're nothing like any uniform I wore.

I like the idea of a "Dress Blue Tartan." I'm looking forward to seeing it woven and made into a kilt. Once I see how it pleats up, I'll pass judgement. Until then, I offer my agreement with the others here saying "well done." I like the design and symbolism; I definitely want to see how it looks in real life.

Semper Fi,

Brad
    "Far an taine ‘n abhainn, ‘s ann as mò a fuaim."
    Where the stream is shallowest, it is noisiest.

Montgomery Village, Maryland, near Washington, District of Columbia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there ever is a run of Dress Blue Tartan, I will be all over getting enough for a kilt.
    Geoff Withnell

"My comrades, they did never yield, for courage knows no bounds."
    No longer subject to reveille US Marine.

The Northern Appalachian Highlands of Southern Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    The USMC Dress Blue Tartan

I took the colors directly from the Enlisted Dress Blue Uniform and kept what looks to my eye the same proportions.

The Dark Blue for the blouse.
    The Light Blue for the trousers.
    The two Reds for the blouse piping and the trouser 'blood' stripe.
    The White for the cover, waistbelt and gloves.
    The Gold to represent the brass of the buttons, waistplate and EGA.
    The Black for the shoes and cover bill.
    Preface: I am not a Marine. As an FMF Corpsman, I did help patch up some of the finest group of people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

I very much like your design, and think that it represents the Dress Blue uniform well. My only suggestion is that perhaps the large red stripe would better represent the rank insignia if it were a gold stripe guarded with red. I believe that change would brighten up the design a bit also. I salute your efforts and thank you for your service to the Corps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Oh I do so hate it when I have a long post typed out and it disappears.....trying again....if a cold war E1's opinion matters any.

First - thanks for all the work in designing a beautiful and meaningful tartan that doesn't look like a designed tartan - if you know what I mean. I own a Navy Edzell tartan kilt and to me there is no similarity.

At first I wanted green and khaki in there somewhere then realized it wouldn't look so good and that's what the Leatherneck tartan already has. So this is something different to represent the dress uniform.

I really like the tartan just standing alone - as a beautiful tartan. Add that it has a meaning that honors my late DI brother and the USMC and its a winner in my mind.

You can count me in for a headcount to weave the tartan. While folks may not have a clue what it represents yet - it'll be up to the first wave of us to explain it and help it become as recognized and honored as the Leatherneck. Two seperate looks honoring the same thing. I like that.

Thanks for all the work in developing the idea - hell, thanks for thinking outside the box and having the idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Many clans have more than one tartan....active duty Marines have more than one uniform...a lot more. That's why I really like the variety.

Its complementary to the Leatherneck.

And - it looks like what its meant to represent...a quick explaination and any Marine is gonna "get it."
    Well said, brother!

S/F,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former sailor who worked with radio battalion Marines, it always irked me that my wife preferred Marine Dress Blues to my choker whites. (Confidentially, so do I, but don't tell her or the CNO I said that.) Steve, if you were to lay this tartan down and ask which branch of service this represented, no veteran who served (reguardless of branch) could say anything other than MARINE. The red crossing the light blue screams "blood stripe." I think this tartan is a winner, and if I had been a Marine, I would be more than pleased to have both the Leatherneck (for daywear) and the Marine Dress Blue (for evening wear) in my kilt closet. And I think you got the proportions to the uniform colors just right, at least to my untrained eye. Love your rationale for the proportions. Well done! (Which I believe still equals five "atta boys.")
    Last edited by FatherWilliam57; 21st June 12 at 07:33 AM.
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WBHenry View Post
    As a former sailor who worked with radio battalion Marines, it always irked me that my wife preferred Marine Dress Blues to my choker whites. (Confidentially, so do I, but don't tell her or the CNO I said that.) Steve, if you were to lay this tartan down and ask which branch of service this represented, no veteran who served (reguardless of branch) could say anything other than MARINE. The red crossing the light blue screams "blood stripe." I think this tartan is a winner, and if I had been a Marine, I would be more than pleased to have both the Leatherneck (for daywear) and the Marine Dress Blue (for evening wear) in my kilt closet. And I think you got the proportions to the uniform colors just right, at least to my untrained eye. Love your rationale for the proportions. Well done! (Which I believe still equals five "atta boys.")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, you had to go and do it, didn't you, Kyle? Lookin' sharp, Marine!
    The Rev. William B. Henry, Jr.
    "With Your Shield or On It!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WBHenry View Post
    Oh, you had to go and do it, didn't you, Kyle? Lookin' sharp, Marine!
    Yes, I had to do it my Navy friend! Hahaha! Hey, I thought Richard Gere looked great in An Officer and a Gentleman, but I will admit, Louis Gossett Jr. looked awfully good too!

Fair winds and following seas,

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think that I was in any way offended or thought you disrespectful to the Leatherneck tartan. I was simply responding to your query. I am, obviously, in the minority with my opinion. I don't dislike the newer design, I just prefer the other. The newer design is, after all, a very nice tartan.

And you're right in asserting that this is what makes tartan discussions so interesting in the first place.

I hope I didn't come off sounding whiny or too curmudgeonly. You all know what a sweet guy I am.
    Jim Killman
    Writer, Philosopher, Teacher of English and Math, Soldier of Fortune, Bon Vivant, Heart Transplant Recipient, Knight of St. Andrew (among other knighthoods)
    Freedom is not free, but the US Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast