X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XMarks the Scot Mentioned in Letters to the Editor of Free Lance Star FXBRG

A letter to the Editor, "'Dead Fred' is no more: There's lots to do! " that I had written to our local newspaper in support of a Editorial leaving a "small town mentality" was published, today. This forum was mentioned.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one Ern, well done.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, Ern.

Member - X Marks Honor Roll
    Former House Chairman/Forum Advocate

Reston, Virginia, USA (Suburban Washington, DC)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not found for me.
    Dee

Ferret ad astra virtus

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starbkjrus View Post
    Not found for me.
    Don't cry, Dee. Here is the letter

'Dead Fred' is no more: There's lots to do!

Date published: 6/27/2012

I read the June 21 editorial titled "Dead Fred & Friends" with much interest.
    I remember when Fred was dead! As an undergraduate at the University of Virginia (which had just started to admit women), on most weekends I would have to "roll" to area women's colleges. Mary Washington College was my favorite to travel to.

There wasn't much to do here, and down-town was deserted. I have fond memories of going to the river.

Twenty-five years later, my employment brought me to the Fredericksburg area. I have been here now more than 15 years and have seen remarkable change. There is a lot to do here, and I have friends come from many areas to enjoy what we have to offer.

I believe Mayor Tom Tomzak showed the wisdom of Solomon in reaching an amiable solution to some shop owners' concerns. The Capital Ale House has been very accommodating in making changes to ensure that all of the downtown area enjoys success with Oktoberfest.

I have admired what the Blue & Grey Brewery does for our community. It sponsors a family-oriented St. Patrick's Day Parade, the proceeds of which support local volunteer emergency squads. It, too, will have an Oktoberfest event, on Sept. 21.

With my interest in my Scottish heritage, I sought out the Park Lane Tavern as a place to host various British-themed activities.

The restaurant's general manager, Jim Simmons, has showed great interest in working with the community. He has hosted several events for our local Scottish Society and for the kilt-wearing locals belonging to the Internet forum X Marks the Scot.

More importantly, I've seen Park Lane's assistance in fundraisers for those in need. It, too, will have an Oktoberfest, at Spotsylvania Towne Centre on Oct. 6., Fredericksburg region. King Ludwig would be proud.

"Dead Fred" is dead, and it is now truly "All Ahead Fred"!

Ernest Malcolm Jr.

Spotsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well done. When were you at University of Virginia? I ask because my mother in law and father in law attended there for graduate studies. In fact, my mother in law was among the first group of women to attend when the only way that women were admitted was if they were a graduate student in education whom was married to a graduate student already attending the university. She has mentioned that when she first started only one of the buildings on campus had a ladies restroom, the education building, and that she had to pay an extra $10 per term over what a male student would have paid for "bathroom maintenance."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser348 View Post
    Very well done. When were you at University of Virginia? I ask because my mother in law and father in law attended there for graduate studies. In fact, my mother in law was among the first group of women to attend when the only way that women were admitted was if they were a graduate student in education whom was married to a graduate student already attending the university. She has mentioned that when she first started only one of the buildings on campus had a ladies restroom, the education building, and that she had to pay an extra $10 per term over what a male student would have paid for "bathroom maintenance."
    I began in the college in the fall of 1970 which was the first year that women were admitted to the undergraduate programs. I graduated from the Commerce School there in 1974.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done. Support for your community is a wonderful thing.
    Si Deus, quis contra? Spence and Brown on my mother's side, Johnston from my father, proud member of Clan MacDuff!