X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18th century hunting?

what would the scots have worn when they went out hunting, im getting into traditional black powder hunting and i wanted to wear a scottish kit while hunting, and for the later month i have colonial type clothes that im gunna wear.

thanks for the help
    Don
    Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    18th century highland hunters (pre-Proscription), whether deer stalkers or fowlers, would have worn belted plaids, little kilts, or trews (if utilizing a horse to get around!). You can do the same. However, our N. American underbrush poses a problem. Highland troops operating on this continent during the 18th C. wars often adopted infantry gaiters or Indian-style side-seam leggings to protect their legs on forays into the wilderness. You would be advised to do the same while hunting kilted!

If you need a short woolen jacket of the period to wear with your kilt, these are nice (and come in red):
    http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...products_id=29
    Last edited by Woodsheal; 19th July 12 at 12:29 AM.
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

georgeetta is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in book of 1752 period after the kilt ban ..says farmers young guys were going out hunting ..anything would ve went ..
    not like they had big wardrobes then ..a highlander'd 've had his fusil ..birds or deer ..the knife was like a sgian ochlese or achlais ..looks like a small mean butcher's knife ..like a roach knife . I saw Scottish powder horns they were not pretty a falttened carved sheeps horn in Fort Ticnderoga collection ..it had carved decorations ..they carried shot in these sort of sling sover the shoulders for a rich hunter ..and you paid out what you wanted ..like a long sausage skin ..belt ..powder too a 2 in 1 gadget ..

they'd their shirt which'd hang to near the knees ..like a hunting shirt ..no reason not to make leggings for brush . You r bonnet ..

there's a detail for Goreham's Rangers ..or Roger's ..not everybody had plaids I'm sure ..after th eact was passed there are museums and they turned their clothes into these sort of long black smocks ..and wore these sort french bastill hats ..ugly ..but ..there are entries where folsk were still wearing plaids adn not prosecuted by autorities .

th
    d

somebody'd a detail on highland footwear much like a moccasin with thongs for the ankle ..

they didn't have much ..you could carry your shot or bullets in a small leather bag ..pouch ..

seems I've seen many scarves in things over the years from the 1800 period ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out "The Society of 18th-Century Gentlemen" to gather an understanding of what would have been worn if out shooting in 18th-century Scotland.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clan campbell View Post
    what would the scots have worn when they went out hunting, im getting into traditional black powder hunting and i wanted to wear a scottish kit while hunting, and for the later month i have colonial type clothes that im gunna wear.
    You may want to qualify your question. The 18th century was a period of great social change throughout Scotland and particularly in the Highlands. The early C18th was a completely different era almost mediaeval in the Highlands compared to the latter part of the century when improvements and the Scottish Enlightenment began the development of modern Scotland. For a majority of the century there was also no such thing as a unified Scotland, and thus Scots, and the Highlands and Lowlands were quite distinct cultures with different dress, culture and habits.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeetta View Post
    seems I've seen many scarves in things over the years from the 1800 period ..
    What? Plain English please.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    Check out "The Society of 18th-Century Gentlemen" to gather an understanding of what would have been worn if out shooting in 18th-century Scotland.
    The OP stated he wished to wear a kilt in an 18th C. hunting context. To me, that means the pre-Proscription highlands - or perhaps a highland soldier in N. America in the 1750s, say. I don't believe this is the look he's seeking (he states he already has such clothing):

Last edited by Woodsheal; 18th July 12 at 11:54 PM.
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen,

Just a gentle reminder. Two photos of weapons not associated with the kilt or part of a proscribed uniform have already been posted to this thread.

Those of you who have been around this forum a while, need to help our newer members to understand the problem that you have seen time and time again. You know full well that threads like this usually tend to stray off topc very fast. Please don't let it happen again.

The topic of this forum section is "Historically made kilts and how to wear them". It is not titled how people used to hunt in the 1700's. Those who treasure this forum section as your historical kilt wear section need to police yourselves and don't allow this thread to veer from our chosen topic of discussion.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 19th July 12 at 12:21 AM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. I've removed the offending photo containing a flintlock (). But, seriously, a period painting is also crosssing the line?

The "chosen topic of discussion" - a kilted 18th C. hunting outfit - has not been veered from in the slightest. Or perhaps the topic itself is not deemed acceptable....
    Brian

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian, I'll answer your question with two questions of my own. Perhaps your answers can answer your own that way.

1) What does your period painting have to do with Historically made kilts?
    2) Is this a Period Hunting Forum?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast