X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well...maybe. So then I asked her..."which tradition? The traditions for wearing the kilt after Proscription was lifted in the late 1800's, or the "tradition" of how people wore the kilt around my grandfathers time, say in the 1940's?"
    I think you meant the late 1700s, Alan, not the late 1800s? The Proscription Act was in effect from 1746 to 1782.

Personally, I think the lady was asking about your smallclothes as well, twinkle or no. She was just trying to be polite about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for "smallclothes" here. But having spent some time around Alan, I do also appreciate the image of him gravely discussing other aspects of "correctness" while the poor woman wonders how things have gotten so far afield!

And see, Alan, how easy it is to use the single codeword "daywear" to encompass a lengthy description of your duds?
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydnie7 View Post

And see, Alan, how easy it is to use the single codeword "daywear" to encompass a lengthy description of your duds?
    Not only "daywear," "CASUAL daywear!"

Our gentleman tosser is at risk of being debowskied.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang around here for, like, eight years or something and SOME knowledge is bound to be absorbed! See, I'm an EDUCATED Lebowski. No default choice out of ignorance, here...I CHOOSE my Lebowskiness!

As for knowing about the term "casual daywear"... whether I lose my lunch over the term, or not.....well I AM friends with Panache!
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th July 12 at 08:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if she was asking about undies or not, this is an excellent diversion from the line of thinking regarding how things "should" be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, once I was asked, quite bluntly, by an elderly dear, as to whether I was regimental or not. It's a good story.

I was visiting my stepmother in her retirement community, some years ago and we were going to lunch. I'd only been wearing kilts for 6 months or so. Anyway, we sat down to linen and silver and had a lovely lunch. Afterwards, my stepmother decided that she wanted to say hi to the "girls" a few tables over, so we stopped by on the way out.

One of the "girls" gave me this up-and-down look..mind you, she was probably 80+ and wearing clothes (from her generation) that probably cost more than my monthly salary... and after a few polite sentences, flat out asked me whether I was wearing it "properly". Her meaning was obvious. However, before I could answer, her tablemate responded like this...

Oh, MYRTLE! *huff* Don't ask a Scotsman impertinent questions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    "Formidable knowledge", that's what you get for hanging around here.
    Indeed! I thought explaining different pleating styles -- box vs. knife vs. military box, to the sett vs. to the stripe -- and universal tartans was hard enough. It seems I'm going to have to do more research on the history of wearing (or not wearing) the kilt.

Quote Originally Posted by English Bloke View Post
    On the subject of Regimental, I find about half the people who ask me are women. It does puzzle me why Blokes need that info though... But in Englandshire at least, it does seem to be a concept that generates endless fascination. I'm asked by at least one person pretty much every time I'm out and about. (yawn...)
    I've pretty much taken these types of questions as variations of the more polite "nice kilt" comment. If they're asking what I'm wearing under the kilt, then 1) they've noticed that I am, in fact, wearing a kilt and 2) they have no objections to how I'm wearing it.
    [SIZE="2"]Cheers,[/SIZE]
    [COLOR="Sienna"][B]Dennis[/B][/COLOR]
    Wood Badge
    C6-439-11-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the few perks women have as they age is the generally accepted license to ask impertinent questions (and make impertinent comments) with impunity. Other than that, getting old s#cks!

[/threadjack]
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the few perks women have as they age is the generally accepted license to ask impertinent questions (and make impertinent comments) with impunity. Other than that, getting old s#cks!

[/threadjack]
    You mean like this one from CMcG's bid for Canada's best-dressed man?

After several times on the page to vote, it hit me:

"Only The Sharpest Man Can Pull Off a Kilt"

As one of the Ladies of XMarks, I must politely differ with that claim
    [SIZE="2"]Cheers,[/SIZE]
    [COLOR="Sienna"][B]Dennis[/B][/COLOR]
    Wood Badge
    C6-439-11-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops...typo, there, Tobus. Yes, late 1700's!
    Last edited by Alan H; 24th July 12 at 10:31 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast