X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I like about this type of discussion is that the term "Clan" is never discussed or defined. Many members of a Clan may not have had the same name as the Clan Chief and may not be related by blood. Look at the numbers ofsept associated with many clans.

If you have Scottish ancestry there is a chance that you are related to all the Scottish Clans. People moved across the country during wars and for other reasons. It is well known that during these travels that young males would never talk to or pay any attention to the local ladies. Since they never paid any attention they could never have left unexpected gifts.
    If you see abbreviations, initials or acronyms you do not know the Xmarks FAQ section on abbreviations may help.

www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/faq.php?faq=xmarks_faq#faq_faq_abbr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to mention folks with Scandanavian or Danish forebearers whose ancestors back in 900-1100 viewed Scotland as a great summer retreat.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNlad View Post
    Not to mention folks with Scandanavian or Danish forebearers whose ancestors back in 900-1100 viewed Scotland as a great summer retreat.
    Those folks have the ancestoral right to wear a horned helmet with their kilt .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a related topic, here's a recent thread about the Balmoral tartan, which is restricted: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...ral-1-a-75112/ Most tartans, however, are not so explicitly restricted, though if you read information about them, most are intended for wear by certain people.

With so many options available, I think it makes sense to consider clan, district, corporate, or fashion tartans that are made for people like you, before considering other tartans. If you don't like any of the tartans that you are naturally affiliated with, there is no law against wearing the tartan of another group.

I think English Bloke has a good approach in at least knowing as much as possible about the meaning and/or history of the tartan you wear, even if it isn't your own. Some Xmarkers have even gone as far as asking permission from a clan chief to wear their tartan or even joining the clan

Personally, I only own tartan kilts that I have some sort of a connection to. Now that I have kilts in a few different tartans, I have to say that I prefer the feeling I get when I wear the ones that I have stronger connections to...
    Last edited by CMcG; 26th July 12 at 09:10 PM.
    - Justitia et fortitudo invincibilia sunt
    - An t'arm breac dearg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to expand a bit on what CMcG said, One approach that may be used wherever the diaspora reside is to join a clan association, participate in clan events, and wear the clan tartan. The clan may be one you are closely associated with by genetics or marriage, one you are very loosely related to, or one you just ask to adopt you. The point is you pick one clan and stick to them.

If you have no interest in such things but really want to wear a particular tartan you can ask permission of the Chief. Some Xmarkers have reported doing this and receiving a nice reply from the Chief. This approach provides the means to stop even the most determined interrogator in their tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has probably already been stated, there are no tartan police. Wear what you like, but be ready to have an answer if you are questioned by a clansman. For example my friend and dragon boat coach, Todd Wong wears two tartans, Loud MacLeod because Wong means gold in Chinese, and Fraser Hunting because he is a graduate of Simon Fraser University. Not having a clan or tartan of his own (yet?), this is the best he can do to kilt up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday View Post
    What I like about this type of discussion is that the term "Clan" is never discussed or defined. Many members of a Clan may not have had the same name as the Clan Chief and may not be related by blood. Look at the numbers ofsept associated with many clans.

If you have Scottish ancestry there is a chance that you are related to all the Scottish Clans. People moved across the country during wars and for other reasons. It is well known that during these travels that young males would never talk to or pay any attention to the local ladies. Since they never paid any attention they could never have left unexpected gifts.
    Thats exactly right. Hell, the Celts even traveled south as far as Egypt and east as far as China. We could have a speck or two of Chinese and Egyptian blood in us as well My Irish side is Black Irish so chances are I have some Spanish, probably some Norwegian as well since we're from Northern Ireland and Scotland. Also, I'm Hessen German so theres a number of mixes that comes with that.

We're all muts in the long run. 100% pure doesnt really exist anymore. In any nationality, really.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLowlife View Post

I am willing to bet that some canny Scot will observe that owning just one kilt makes things a lot easier...

That it does and che----, umm, less expensive!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th July 12 at 01:48 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xman View Post
    As has probably already been stated, there are no tartan police. Wear what you like, but be ready to have an answer if you are questioned by a clansman. For example my friend and dragon boat coach, Todd Wong wears two tartans, Loud MacLeod because Wong means gold in Chinese, and Fraser Hunting because he is a graduate of Simon Fraser University. Not having a clan or tartan of his own (yet?), this is the best he can do to kilt up.
    Im the stubborn and overprotective type that would be annoyed if some Random was wearing "my clan" (assuming I had a clan) tartan with no reason, but the way your friend does it would not bother me becuase he seems to be recognizing that hes sporting a clan tartan but he's not doing it to falsely represent the clan, AND he's not doing it ignorantly. If someone wore a Walker tartan and said "Im not a Walker but I sure do love those shortbread cookies" then it's really not a big deal to me since they're recognizing that they are not actually representing Walkers and, instead, they are honoring something that has the word "Walker" in it. Idk. Im more or less "thinking out loud" here. I just know that I'm the type that would be like "umm.....whatcha doing sporting my kilt" if I saw it being worn by someone who has no claim to it. The way your friend does it seems to be a very reasonable and non-offensive way to wear a tartan that isn't "yours".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an article written by Matt Newsome in 2007 (clickety click). Although it was written a few years ago I have only just come across it. It does however pretty much sum up everything I feel about how the Kilt fits into my life for me (I'm category four in case you hadn't noticed).

Nicely put by the way Matt. Couldn't have summed it up better mee-own-self.

Just thought you might like to have a shufftie. Anyway, after recent ruminations of where I'm at with Kilts and Kilt Fora, I'm off to do a bit more wearing of the Kilt and a little less talking about it. I'll be back when I have something interesting and original to add.
    Last edited by English Bloke; 28th July 12 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Link

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast