X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super thread, Chas. The 1977 Gathering began a new era for those of us in Highland Scotland. That year we began to realise the size of the Scots diaspora in a very real and different way. The "clans" we knew as family relationships had become something quite different overseas. There they had taken on a sort of corporate identity. It was a bit confusing for us in the lead-up to that Gathering, but many of the chiefs and leading folk agreed to give it a go and contributed.

Individually, it turned out to be a hugely costly agreement. A great success from a tourism point of view with millions coming into the country and being dispersed within the country. An even greater success if one looks at the rapid spread of interest in succeeding years (and increasingly in Highland dress by those not thought of as 'of' the culture).

But those who footed the outside-commercial-Edinburgh bill at home were not re-imbursed in any way -- and their joint expenditure was enormous. There's more to the story, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Curses!!! No Cameron banner? No doubt we were waylaid by the Chattan Confederation and those meddling MacPhersons.!!!!!!!!
    Great post Chas!

The drawings were prepared by the late Don Pottinger, LVO, Islay Herald, for the 1977 International Gathering of the Clans. At that time many of the Clan Chiefs or Heads of Families (including Cameron) had not matriculated their personal Standards with the Lyon Court.

As has been pointed out by others, the standard is used to mark the location of the Chief's headquarters and is a rallying point for his clansmen. They are the exclusive and personal property of the Chief, they are protected by the law in Scotland, and none may be flown without the consent of its owner-- the Clan Chief.

The hoist (that part nearest the pole) displays either the Arms of the Chief or the Scottish national flag. The rest of the flag (the fly) is made up of the Chief's livery colours, and shows his crest or badge, with or without his other heraldic or plant badges. His motto or slogan is shown on transverse bands.
    Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 30th July 12 at 10:07 PM.
    [SIZE=1]and at EH6 7HW[/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post

Memory of injustices is long, Simon, often on both sides, but in that same 1977 Lochiel and The Mackintosh agreed that their friendship was sound and that all issues of the past could comfortably be left there. Stir no more.
    Rex I certainly don't wish to stir anything nor was it my intention to do so. I was merely making a point about the Camerons being absent in what I thought was a light hearted manner. I sincerely apologise if I have caused any offence whatsoever.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries, Simon. There's just this home-grown saying about old porridge -- stir no more -- that I dropped in here and I didn't mean to cause you concern. Old issues in the Highlands are kept alive by those who have been long away from these shores and not by those who remained behind. The Macphersons are a clan within the Clanchattan super-clan and the Clanchattan's old issues with the Camerons (and vice versa) were put to rest long, long ago.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 31st July 12 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I didn't know that myself, Rathdown: "At that time (1977) many of the Clan Chiefs or Heads of Families (including Cameron) had not matriculated their personal Standards with the Lyon Court." That certainly explains the absence of several from Chas' list whom I seem to remember as being at Edinburgh in those opening days.

It also says much in support of my earlier statement that "The 1977 Gathering began a new era for those of us in Highland Scotland." That's worthy of further discusion on this forum, I think.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 31st July 12 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I don't think so. My friend Kyle will know that it is all in jest. Besides he wll no doubt cut me down with a witty retort which I will then have to spend many an hour trying to think up a reply.
    No jesting, I assure you! Besides a bit of a skirmish at the Battle of Invernahavon near present day Glentruim in Badenoch, the Macphersons and Camerons have been pretty good mates!

Cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMillan of Rathdown View Post
    Great post Chas!

The drawings were prepared by the late Don Pottinger, LVO, Islay Herald, for the 1977 International Gathering of the Clans. At that time many of the Clan Chiefs or Heads of Families (including Cameron) had not matriculated their personal Standards with the Lyon Court.

As has been pointed out by others, the standard is used to mark the location of the Chief's headquarters and is a rallying point for his clansmen. They are the exclusive and personal property of the Chief, they are protected by the law in Scotland, and none may be flown without the consent of its owner-- the Clan Chief.

The hoist (that part nearest the pole) displays either the Arms of the Chief or the Scottish national flag. The rest of the flag (the fly) is made up of the Chief's livery colours, and shows his crest or badge, with or without his other heraldic or plant badges. His motto or slogan is shown on transverse bands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    No worries, Simon. There's just this home-grown saying about old porridge -- stir no more -- that I dropped in here and I didn't mean to cause you concern. Old issues in the Highlands are kept alive by those who have been long away from these shores and not by those who remained behind. The Macphersons are a clan within the Clanchattan super-clan and the Clanchattan's old issues with the Camerons (and vice versa) were put to rest long, long ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rex,

I am curious, are there any photos of the 1977 Gathering? If so, it would be lovely to see them. The Clan Macpherson Association has an annual publication called, "Creag Dhubh." There are back issues that go back to the initial publication in 1947. I'll check the 1977 edition to see if I can locate any photos of the gathering, as I am sure, the Rabble would be quite interested.

Cheers,

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember it all going on, but for some reason that I cannot for the life of me recall, I was elsewhere.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast