X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, I was searching, on the web, for photos of the '77 Clan Gathering and on of the articles I found led me to and edition of "Creag Dhubh" wherein a article relating to the Gathering was found. In the article it is mentioned that one of your members had made a movie of the 77 Gathering and had been shown at the Macpherson Clan Gathering which occured shortly after the Edinburgh Gathering. Wonder if the movie is still in existance?

A short paragraph from edition 30 of Creag Dhubh
    "On Saturday evening, the Clan was entertained with a programme of singing, piping, dancing and reciting at the Ceilidh with Hugh Macpherson acting as fear-an-tigh. In addition, we also saw a film by Munroe Macpherson on the "Gathering of The Clans in Edinburgh" as well as the "Gathering in Badenoch"."
    Last edited by Downunder Kilt; 31st July 12 at 02:03 PM.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downunder Kilt View Post
    Kyle, I was searching, on the web, for photos of the '77 Clan Gathering and on of the articles I found led me to and edition of "Creag Dhubh" wherein a article relating to the Gathering was found. In the article iI mentioned that one of your members had made a movie of the 77 Gathering and had been shown at the Macpherson Clan Gathering which occured shortly after the 77 Gathering. Wonder if the movie is still in existance?
    Wonderful discovery! I haven't had the chance to thoroghly look through past issues of "Creag Dhubh," but what you have found is definitely promising. I'll dig a wee bit deeper and see if any of my fellow Macphersons in Scotland know of this video and if a copy still survives. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it is still in existence. My good mate and Clan Macpherson historian, Sandy Macpherson of Edinburgh, would be a good point of contact to begin my research. Thank you for the lead!

Slainte,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Now you are able to see where my handle, or screen-name of "Creag Dhubh" comes from. It's part of the war/rallying cry of the Clan Macpherson. "Creag Dhubh Clann Chatain!" Meaning, the Black Rock (referencing Creag Dhubh - a prominent craggy hill, dark in appearance and dividing upper and lower Badenoch) of Clan Chattan.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 31st July 12 at 02:14 PM.

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Vancouver right now and don't have access to all the old Creag Dubh and Clanchattan Journals but I have my own daily journals here and in the summer of '77 I was in Edinburgh for the Scottish Tourism events there, at the Macpherson Gathering at the Newtonmore Games, the Field Sports at Moy Hall with the Clan Chattan Gathering, the Gathering at Achnacarry, an event on Skye, the Argyllshire Gathering at the Oban Games and the Braemar Gathering. I can't read through the stains on two pages (I suspect whisky ), but there was something in Ross and I must have been at both the Black Isle show and the Nairn. A packed few months. I didn't carry a camera around with me, of course; not done in those days, you know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creagdhubh View Post
    Now you are able to see where my handle, or screen-name of "Creag Dhubh" comes from. It's part of the war/rallying cry of the Clan Macpherson. "Creag Dhubh Clann Chatain!" Meaning, the Black Rock (referencing Creag Dhubh - a prominent craggy hill, dark in appearance and dividing upper and lower Badenoch) of Clan Chattan.

Cheers,
    Thanks for the bit of clan history. I'm learning a lot about my heritage from this forum.
    dani Mac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks for sharing! I for one enjoyed looking at this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's more of a detailed explanation of Cluny's Standard and another image of it. This version was painted by Roderick Gordon Murdoch Macpherson, Niagara Extraordinary, and is on display at the Clan Macpherson Museum and House in Newtonmore, Inverness-shire. Enjoy.

The principal charge of the Cluny Arms on the "Shield" is a "Lymphad" (ancient galley-type of ship) which suggests an earlier connection with the Lord of the Isles.

Above the galley to the left is a hand holding a "Bloody Dagger" which is said to signify the part played by the Clan in eliminating the Comyns of Badenoch who were enemies of Robert the Bruce.

Above the galley to the right is a "Red Crosslet" which represents an ecclesiastical origin.

Crest: a Scottish wildcat sitting with three feet on the ground and the left paw raised with its face turned to the front. This is a large beast about twice the size of a fully-grown domestic cat with black markings and bars which are particularly pronounced on the tail.

Slughorn: "Creag Dhu" (Black Rock/Crag).

Plant badge: Sprigs of white heather.

Cheers,
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 1st August 12 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks, Chas, for posting all those images (55 chiefs’ standards plus the royal one). It is good to see this fine piece of work by Don Pottinger, whose style I got to know through the irreplaceable Simple Heraldry (the text of which was by Sir Iain Moncreiffe).
    I recall reading somewhere that mediæval Scottish standards always featured azure, a saltire argent at the hoist, to identify the clan army as belonging to Scotland, and that the use of the chief’s arms in that position was a modern innovation. I like to see the chiefly arms there, but the saltire has a very long tradition behind it. I notice also that the MacLaren standard incorporates both the saltire and the chief’s arms.
    Has there been any more recent compilation of chiefs’ standards? It would be interesting to see the newer registrations, and whether there have been any changes to the 55 in this collection.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the confusion surrounding standards, that of my Chief, George MacMillan of MacMillan and Knap, follows none of the usual "rules": Or, in the hoist a Lion's head erased sable collared or charged thereon with three mullets azure and on the fly the slogan CNAP in letters sable. So, we have a gold standard displaying the chief's badge and his territorial designation.
    [SIZE=1]and at EH6 7HW[/SIZE]

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But is that a standard, Scott, or another style of heraldic flag? I recall seeing a few with the same shape as the standard, but in a different format, and bearing a slogan.
    Regards,
    Mike
    The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life.
    [Proverbs 14:27]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234