X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions & Pics of my New Seaforth Box

Let me start off by stating, that I don't post too often on the forum, because I know there is not a lot I can contribute to the discussion. But, I do tune in, close to, every day to see what's going on, to pick up tips, or to research questions I have. And a question is what brings me here now.
    I scored a great Seaforth Military Box Pleat off of eBay two weeks ago, which just came in. It wasn't advertised as a box pleated kilt, but it was a pleasant surprise as all my other kilts are knife pleated. It can use a good pressing to get the pleats in better shape and the buckle tabs are a little rough, but what I didn't notice until I put the kilt on is that the aprons are reversed on this kilt. If I'm using the wrong terminology...what I mean is that the outer apron buckles to my left hip and not my right.
    To cut to the chase, is this normal to find with the authentic military box pleated kilts or could the aprons have been switched at some point? Also, looking at the pics, the tartan doesn't seem to line up correctly at the outer apron edge. I'm able to buckle the kilt to the tightest setting , which makes it really snug, but it still doesn't pick up the pattern of the tartan like it should at the overlap....could be too small?? I'm probably not describing this accurately and since you guys are always picture hungry, let me feed you.
    Any help is greatly appreciated....the more I look at the pics, the more I'm thinking that the kilt might be a bit small for me...but why can I tighten it all the way down? Let me know what you guys think.

Jeez!!Why so serious??

Not sure what these numbers mean.
    Last edited by truckie561; 7th August 12 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Can't spell
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni
    Crisis does not Create Character, it Merely Reveals it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful tartan. Looks good on you. I know the first thing that the Kilt Police are going to cite you for is the length. The citation will read, "For selvedge coming below the knee". I think it looks great, but I'm not on the force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. IMHO you might try to loosen the top strap on set of holes. This strap should not have to be very tight for the kilt to stay up. The tapper from the fell line to the top of the kilt will provide a lot of stay-upness.
    If you see abbreviations, initials or acronyms you do not know the Xmarks FAQ section on abbreviations may help.

www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/faq.php?faq=xmarks_faq#faq_faq_abbr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, I'd like to say well done! It is a fine looking kilt with a rich history, I'm sure! By no means do I ever, or have ever, consider myself to be "Kilt Police," but I will say that the length looks a wee bit long. Perhaps an alteration may be in order at some point? That is completely up to you, obviously. I am sure some of our resident kilt-makers will chime in and lend their expertise.

Congrats mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the kilt long or is the camera shooting at a downward angle and does not show the knee? However. I am not one who is in full agreement with the current opinion of the middle of the knee. There historical example of kilt both above and below the knee. Like women's skirt length and the stock market there are ups and downs.
    If you see abbreviations, initials or acronyms you do not know the Xmarks FAQ section on abbreviations may help.

www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/faq.php?faq=xmarks_faq#faq_faq_abbr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive if I missed it, but is there perhaps damage to the under apron? I wonder if there was mot at some point a reversal due to damage on the then top apron?

Just a thought.

I like the fact that it buckles the other way. Truly unique find.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might work better if you take the bottom buckle & strap completely off the kilt and just use the top one.
    --dbh

When given a choice, most people will choose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Tartan View Post
    Forgive if I missed it, but is there perhaps damage to the under apron? I wonder if there was mot at some point a reversal due to damage on the then top apron?
    Just a thought.
    I like the fact that it buckles the other way. Truly unique find.
    Nope....both aprons are in great shape. Is this pretty uncommon to see the aprons reversed?
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed - a beautiful kilt! Looks good on you.
    As others have also said, I also think you would benefit from it being about 1"+/- (?) shorter.
    Although, that is always up for debate.
    As far as buckling up, if you don't need to make it so tight to keep it up, then loosen it, and that pulling should go away.
    "Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replys & compliments everyone. The kilt is definitely too long, I'm 5'7 (give or take) and I usually wear my kilts at a 22" length. This kilt is 25" long and will be getting sent out for a rebuild once the funds are available.
    Fir Na Tine
    Braithre Thar Gach Ni

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast