X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spinnaker, I've heard that the Economy and the Standard are (according to the Stillwater site) "orders of mangnitude" better quality than the Thrifty. Several people sing their praises on this forum. I'm very happy that you enjoy yours, and I wish I could order one of their better products, alas, my **** is too large for anything they offer other than the thrifty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MacGumerait, Thank you for your response. I have heard that their Economy line and Standard line are much finer garments. I stated in another response to another poster that I regret I am unable to order any of their other kilts because they do not offer my size. I'm not looking for Stillwater to make a beter Thrifty, it is exactly what it should be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stillwater Thrifty Part Deux

Okay, so let me try one more again...apparently I wasn't a very good communicator last time. The down side to any e-communication, is that it is too easy to read into it what was not intended.

I don't dislike Stillwater Kilts, the fine folks who work their, nor even the Pakastanis who make them. My purpose was only to share my oppinion of the product delivered to me. I have heard in this forum and even on the Stillwater site that their Economy and Standard kilts are fine products. I didn't order one of them, I ordered the thrifty. Had I ordered a better model, I'm sure my review would have been as positive as the others I've read on them.

I ordered their cheap-o model because they is what they offer that fits me. The Econ and Standard do not come in my size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received my Scottish National Thrifty Kilt last night.....My wife sews historical costuming wanted to add the "missing Leather straps". But she thought it was OK for me to wear for SCA and or steampunk as is. My next one will be a "MacKenzie Tartan" as I am a MacKenzie. The Thrifty Kilt is a lot lighter than my wedding kilt in wool. Better for outdoors wear/summer use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eoin,

Very cool. I think adding the straps and sewing down to the hips would really help make it a much better garment, but then again, for less than 50 bucks even with shipping...just wear it and rock on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this same kilt, Irish National Thrifty, and I really like it. I've made my own that certainly fit better, but I do love the coloring on it, and it is the one I wear the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Stillwater Thrifty in Blackwatch. It was my first kilt...great for testing the waters on a budget. I am really happy with it. I had no delusions as to the quality of this garment when I purchased it. I was NOT expecting a tank. It actually exceeded my expectations. I expected something along the lines of MacTablecloth. Instead I got a decent entry-level kilt. With a few modifications it would be even better.

I've worn my thrifty onstage while playing my drumkit for a few gigs. It tuened out to be VERY practical for drumming.

I look forward to getting a couple of really nice of kilts soon, maybe even a tank, but Stillwater sells a decent product that won't break the bank.

I agree with what people say about them: they are a reputable retailer and Jerry treats his customers really well. I would do business with them again.
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 28th September 12 at 12:53 AM.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say that the initial review is too harsh; In fact, there's at least one kilt manufacturing company I've come across that acknowledges that the cheaper kilts are of inferior quality. They even call their own acrylic kilts crappy. This is straight from that company's website:

"Don't let anyone fool you! Any kilt for less than 50 bucks is gonna be crappy! At $59, that makes our new AcryliKilt™ only kinda crappy!"

A bit blunt, yes, but I can understand the point they're trying to convey. As someone who has experience working with watches and clocks and being around retailers who sell timepieces, we all mutually agree that quartz (aka battery-powered watches) are "crappy", with the exception of a small few specialty quartz movements, and they're not afraid to tell customers this. Why? They appreciate quality timepieces and would much rather a customer purchase a quality timepiece, because the customer would be much happier knowing they hold something closer to traditional quality rather than an inexpensive piece that will probably only last a few years. However, they acknowledge that some people can't afford higher quality timepieces, some just want something they can throw around and beat up without worrying about, and others want something that functions for the lowest cost possible. So, they offer options to reach out to a broader audience. These same concepts apply to the kilt business as well.

That said, I too have a Thrifty and love it. It's my lounge around kilt that I know I can beat up and not think twice about. It was actually the first kilt I received, but the second I ordered. I have no complaints about its quality of construction, including the rather sloppy hem at the bottom, because it was at such a good price. I'll be buying a few more Thrifty's in the near future too. They are, to me, like denim jeans as opposed to tailored formal trousers. That's why I like them so much.

I'm glad you're as happy with yours as I am with mine, Fat Irish

Cheers,
    -Jake

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered my Thrifty for the same reason as you, Fat Irish - No one else has stock sizes that large. Bless Stillwater for thinking of us larger gents, but I wish they would think of us for their other kilts too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Llama View Post
    I ordered my Thrifty for the same reason as you, Fat Irish - No one else has stock sizes that large. Bless Stillwater for thinking of us larger gents, but I wish they would think of us for their other kilts too.
    I'd like to chime in on this note, too! I'd be more than happy to step up to an economy kilt, but none fit.

I'll get a standard one day. Maybe between now and then I'll trim down to fit the eco model. ;)
    Whovian Kilted Lebowski
    "When positivity and intellect can't overcome brute force and pessimism... I go bowling."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast