X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stillwater Thrifty Review

A quick review of my new Stillwater Thrifty in Irish National...
    First, let me say right off the bat that I am well aware that I paid less that $50 for this kilt, shipping and all. I am well aware of the fact that this is in no way supposed to even duplicate an actual woven wool kilt. I bought this kilt under no delusions or expectations of gradure. That being said, this is a horse blanket with pleats, nothing more. It is exactly what I thought it would be. A kilt to wear around the house, mow the grass, wash the car, camp, ect. The folks at Stillwater do not misrepresent this item...it is ok for someone who isn't sure about kilts and wants a low-impact test model.
    http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/...05/SWKilt2.jpg

The only real "issue" I have with the kilt is the hem...it looks like it was cut with a pocket knife!

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/e138705/SWKilthem.jpg

My final thoughts on the matter: (please feel free to agree or dispute)...
    A thrifty is a horse blanket with pleats
    A thrifty is fine for those on a super tight budget or those who do not want to drop higher coin for their "test the waters" kilt
    A thrifty is fine for mowing the yard, camping, ect
    A thrifty is fine for Austin, TX pub crawls because so few here know what a "real" kilt looks like.
    A thrifty is NOT fine for anything other than uber casual wear (see previous two)
    A thrifty is NOT fine for someone expecting "real" kilt
    A thrifty is NOT fine for traditionalist or anyone with a salary above public school teacher (which I am)

Joe
    Last edited by Fat Irish; 10th August 12 at 05:40 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one thing, the thrifty is not fine around any type of fire. Please be aware of that when camping.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @downunder-true that! I was aware and just remiss in adding it to my overall review.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem mate, hope you enjoy the kilting experience, and get yourself the "addiction, like a lot of others here.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are being a little harsh on your critique of the SWK thrifty kilt Fat Irish. I just got one in the mail yesterday from them and I was pleasantly surprised at just how good it was considering the price I paid for it. Granted it is not a 16oz wool tank, but then it doesn't claim to be. For someone just wanting a kilt to see if they like it or not, I would say this is a good way to go.
    I bought it as a gift for someone that will probably only wear it once or twice a year. I gave it to him today and he was very happy with it. I certainly will not be ashamed to be seen with him when we are both kilted at the Highland Games next month.
    Let me just say this: for the price you could do a lot worse than the SWK thrifty.
    proud U.S. Navy vet

Creag ab Sgairbh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat Irish ,

I own an SWK economy kilt ( the next step up from the " thrifty ") in Black Watch and was quite pleased when I got it considering that I was ordering a budget kilt . I own two 8 yd tanks , but recently wore my SWK economy to two local Highland Games due to the heat ( whew ! , hot here in the midwest ) and was very pleased .

Of course , as you stated , these are not " tanks " but I found the SWK economy kilt did just fine . Naturally it doesn't have the same hang and swag of a tank , but I was willing to forgo that given the temps . :)

By the way , you might check out " brewerpaul's " thread on an SWK economy kilt that is being offered in 100% wool ( as opposed to acrylic ) in Black Watch tartan . http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-review-73426/ .

This might be an inexpensive way ( $ 84 ) to jump up a notch and get a budget kilt that may give you a little more traditional features and still fit the budget ( if you're okay with the Black Watch tartan ). I am seriously thinking about ordering one myself as another alternative to the tanks .

Just food for thought . :)

Best kilting to ya and best regards , Mike
    Last edited by MacGumerait; 10th August 12 at 12:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently received my new SWK Standard kilk, and I can speak nothing but praise(4"'deep pleats, strong buckles). Yes, it is acrylic, but the construction is great. As background, I spent 6 months of research, hemming and hawing, I and I chose Stillwater because of the fine recommendations on this forum. Am very pleased with the above-value I got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Thrifty for my son, then the brat lost weight!! :-) I did sew the pleats down to the hip - I think that improved the swing some. I think the Thrifty and Economy are good choices for fast-growing kids, and parents on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sailortats, thank you for your comments. In the interest of peace and harmony prevailing, please allow me to reply...I specifically stated that the thrifty was fine for exactly what it's built for...someone to tryout kilts without dropping a lot of money or those on a tight budget. I also specifically said the fine folks at Stillwater in no-way misrepresent it to be more than it it. I also specifically said it was fine for casual wear. I am very happy that you enjoy yours, and I plan on wearing mine anytime the occasion calls for it. Again, thank you for your comments. Obviously enough people like them that they are still being produced!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirthlesstroll, I totally agree. They are prefect for the market they are tailored to (no pun intended)...budget minded kilters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast